Skip to main content

Perfect Roast Chicken



























Anyone who follows me on Instagram or Facebook might know about my obsession with Thomas Keller and finding the perfect roast chicken recipe. When I discovered Keller’s super easy recipe a few years ago, my heart melted. Three ingredients will, every time, without fail, make the best roast chicken you will ever eat. Don’t mistake my love for simplicity as a renunciation for other, more difficult, methods of chicken roasting. There is something god-like about a chicken slathered in butter, stuffed with aromatics with fresh sage or thyme delicately pressed underneath the skin for added flavor. But if you can create the best roast chicken ever with just three ingredients, would you at least try it? Would you make it at least one night a week and then use the leftover carcass for chicken stock the next day? Yes. You would. And you will.   

I made two of these simple birds last night and coupled them with asparagus, whipped butternut squash, and pan gravy. Paired with a bottle of warm and spicy Côtes du Rhône wine, it was a flawless introduction to fall flavors.

Let me make something very clear. You will be tempted to stuff this chicken with “stuff”, but you will resist the urge. You will be tempted to add “just a little butter” on the skin or “just a few vegetables” to the bottom of the roasting rack. You will resist the urge. What makes this chicken so crispy on the outside and juicy on the inside is the extreme heat from the oven and zero moisture in the air. Vegetables and butter, well, they have moisture, which is your enemy for this particular recipe. Don’t let the moisture monsters tempt you with their vapor-y ways. 

Perfect Roast Chicken (inspired by Thomas Keller)
Prep time: 10 minutes
Time in Kitchen: 70 minutes

Tools required: 
Roasting pan with roasting rack
Kitchen twine

Ingredients: 
Organic young chicken brought to room temperature
2 TB Kosher salt
½ TB freshly ground black pepper

Directions: 

  1. Preheat the oven to 450 degrees 
  2. With paper towels, dry the chicken completely, inside and out. For this recipe to work, the chicken has to be completely dry, including the cavity!
  3. Sprinkle salt and pepper in the chicken’s cavity
  4. Truss the chicken with  kitchen twine (click here for a tutorial)
  5. Slather the chicken with copious amounts of salt and pepper
  6. Place the trussed and seasoned chicken breast-side up on the roasting pan
  7. Do not, I repeat, do not put anything else in the oven while the bird cooks. 
  8. Put chicken in oven and roast for 50-60 minutes, until the thermometer registers 165 degrees. Open at your own risk. 
  9. Once the chicken is cooked, remove from roasting pan and allow the chicken to rest for 15 minutes before slicing. This is the perfect time to throw those sides in the oven to roast, and make a nice pan sauce!

Enjoy! 

Comments

  1. A true fav and standard! It's strange as the salted crisping skin puffs up creating like a broil-in-bag effect. You can see the juices bubbling underneath when it's done, so be sure to not puncture that breast skin! I know what I'm having this weekend. I often have some extra chicken necks which I toss in the roasting pan for the whole process. That pan sauce of just pure unadulterated chicken reduction? BooM goes the palate dynamite! The end result is enough perfectly cooked tender juicy chicken for several other recipes ..chicken salad ..chicken and slicks ..chicken and chicken ...well there are some bits which barely survive that first 15 minute rest ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. When are you going to cook for me?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I need to try this. I love that crispy skin! I've only roasted one chicken, and that was under close supervision by my mom. It scares me... totally irrational, I know.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks pretty darn perfect! I am one of those people that stuff the inside with herbs, lemon and onions. Okay.. I will resist the urge and try it like this. :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for leaving a comment!

Popular posts from this blog

Grilled Asparagus Salad with Fried Quail Eggs

The Baltimore Farmer’s Market was beaming with pride as the stalls opened for the season on Sunday morning, and it has good reason to be prideful. It was recently voted #1 Farmer’s Market in the nation by Country Living.   Since it was 7:00 am after a long night out I was appropriately armed with coffee, sun glasses, and hippy-ass reusable tote bags. Asparagus has been in the forefront of my thoughts since eating a memorably crisp asparagus salad at Woodberry Kitchen . When I saw a pile of garden-fresh spears I couldn’t resist getting a few bundles for the week as well as my fair share of blue kale, foraged mushrooms, spinach, organic quail eggs, ramps, and a multitude of other goodies.   It is going to be a wonderfully food-filled week. Grilled Asparagus Salad with Fried Quail Eggs utilizes many of the seasonal ingredients I scored at the market. It’s only lightly seasoned to give the ingredients the stage. Fresh tarragon is laced throughout and the yolk from the gently fried

Bacon Guacamole

So, here's the thing. Bacon is so played out in the food world right now. We have bacon chocolate bars, bacon oil, bacon salt, bacon print band-aids, and bacon sundaes at Burger King. There is even a small restaurant in Austin, Texas called Bacon that serves, well, everything bacon (try the the bacon doughnut...just do it). Some truly sad souls people have a difficult time understanding why bacon should play such a leading role off the breakfast table. I say everything should taste like bacon. Bring it! Here is my small contribution to our over-saturated bacon kingdom, Bacon Guacamole .   I actually shed a tear when I tasted this. You can thank me later... Bacon Guacamole Time in kitchen: 10 minutes Servings: 8 (2 T serving) Nutrition information per serving:  100 calories, 9 grams fat, 3 grams fiber, 2 grams protein, 4 carbs Ingredients: 2 ripe avocados  the juice of 1/2 lime (or more to taste) 1 small garlic clove, grated 1 T fresh c

Green Egg Skillet Bake

Breakfast for dinner is becoming the norm. Restaurants and home cooks everywhere are serving it up in grand style. Pancakes, waffles, French toast, eggs, sausage and bacon are a special treat after a long day, but the world is craving a more sophisticated take on the classics. Bon Appétit recently featured an array of rousing recipes from Chef Yotam Ottolenghi who has a magical way with food. I was inspired by a particular recipe called “Skillet-Baked Eggs with Spinach, Yogurt, and Chili Oil.” I have not stopped thinking about it since reading the article while stuck on a hot, crowded plane a few weeks ago. It whisked me away to a happy place, and I could not wait to get home and see what I could come up with.  Ottolenghi’s technique can be found throughout the Green Egg Skillet Bake, but the flavor profile is quite different. It focuses on the richness of cumin and hearty greens which are perfectly highlighted by a liberal dose of red pepper flakes. So, who is making