Skip to main content

A Recipe to Fall For

Some recipes evoke an absolute carnal lust in me that transcends reasoning. My mouth waters frenziedly, my eyes get big, and my smile widens with the anticipation of the feast. These lust inducing meals usually involve bacon, cheese and pasta covered in luscious red sauce. I am fairly certain my lineage does not contain a trace of Italian, but my favorite foods are profoundly Italian-American like these Meatballs in Bacon Sauce by Chef Beau MacMillan.  

This is not my recipe; however, I felt it deserved a special place on my blog after I dotingly made it for extended family on a recent ski trip to Whistler, Canada. The smell of the sauce simmering for hours, the gentle roasting of the simple meatballs and the absolute joy on the faces of everyone who ate it reminds me what Valentine’s Day is all about: love and family.

If you make this for someone special tonight they will fall in love with you on the spot. 

That is a fact.

Happy Valentine’s Day!

Spaghetti with Bacon Sauce and Meatballs
(Recipe by Chef Beau MacMillan)

Ingredients

Bacon Sauce:
7 or 8 strips regular bacon
1 large onion, diced
1 clove garlic, minced
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
Two 28-ounce cans chunky ground tomatoes, such as Pastene Chunky Kitchen Ready

Meatballs:
Oil, for greasing pan
2 pounds 80-percent lean ground beef
3/4 cup breadcrumbs (made from day old Italian bread)
3/4 cup freshly grated Parmigiano-Reggiano, plus more for serving
3/4 cup fresh parsley leaves, chopped
2 or 3 cloves garlic, minced (not too fine)
2 eggs
Salt and freshly ground black pepper

1 pound spaghetti (or better yet, bucatini pasta)

Directions

For the bacon sauce: 

Cut the bacon into pieces. Using a big saute pan or skillet that has a cover, cook over medium heat until almost crispy. Don't drain the fat. Add the onions to the pan. When the onions are almost cooked and start to become translucent, add the garlic and salt and pepper to taste. Cook for 1 to 2 minutes, and then add tomatoes and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat, cover and simmer on low for about an hour to an hour and a half.

For the meatballs: 

Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F. Grease a baking sheet. In a large bowl, combine the beef, breadcrumbs, Parmigiano-Reggiano, parsley, garlic, eggs and some salt and pepper. Form into 1 to 1 1/2-inch meatballs and place on the prepared baking sheet. Bake for 5 minutes. Then turn the oven down to 350 degrees F and bake for an additional 10 minutes. Make sure to turn every few minutes to brown on all sides.

Cook the pasta according to the package directions.

Serve the meatballs over the pasta with the bacon sauce liberally drizzled on top. Garnish with freshly grated Parmigiano-Reggiano.

Comments

  1. Oh what a lovely description and photo. You've made me hungry!
    ceecee

    ReplyDelete
  2. These look amazingly tasty! I love meatballs! I look forward to looking around your blog. Have an amazing week!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bacon sauce-those two words do entice! I already love a good meatball with tomato sauce-but the idea of bacon with all of that does make me think that it should have been there all along! Thanks for posting this-I am saving so I will no longer be deprived of bacon sauce-yum! Happy Valentine's

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It seems like such an overly simple recipe, but it is seriously the most scrumptious spaghetti and meatballs I have ever made. Please try it! I hope you had a wonderful V-day :)

      Delete
  4. OMG does that title say bacon sauce!!?? This sounds amazing! Thank you for sharing it! This must be heaven with the slice of garlic bread. Mmm, totally drooling over here!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my... I WAS going to make pork for dinner... regular pork that is. Now I want spaghetti... I mean, really? How can you go wrong with a sauce made with bacon? YUM!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You skied Whistler???? You lucky duck! My family would go nuts for this pasta...I will add it to my pile of recipes! Happy Valentine's Day, my friend~

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was breathtaking! Seriously simple recipe, seriously delicious. Let me know how your family likes it!

      Delete
  7. FANTASTIC recipe! I'm a fan of Beau and like you - not a drop of Italian heritage, but my faves come from them! LOVE this dish and post! Happy Valentines Day!

    ReplyDelete
  8. That is a fantastic pic! Now I'm craving meatballs hard-core. :)

    Bacon sauce sounds like candy to me right now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What I wouldn't give for these meatballs right now, too! Bacon...sauce...balls. MMMM.

      Delete
  9. That's a wonderful pasta dish..meatballs with bacon sauce...amazing combination.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Halleluiah... you are speaking to me with this one!! You know I'm meatball obsessed!! This looks amazing!! I hope your honey and you had a lovely Valentine's Day!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. You can never go wrong with spaghetti and meatballs...especially with bacon sauce. Love this!
    Hope you had a lovely Valentine's Day!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Bacon... "nuff said...LOVE... Spaghetti and meatball night is a favorite at home. This is happening tonight... Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow! Those look and sound delicious. What a perfect meal. I hope you have a great evening. Blessings...Mary

    ReplyDelete
  14. Yeah I can definitely be on board with loving that :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. You sure you're not a tiny bit Italian? Had me fooled... Grubarazzi for example?? :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. My gosh really. I love this picture and you don't have to describe any further. It just looks perfectly delicious! Of course keeping this recipe and hope to try soon!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hi, I am new to your blog and I just loved your 'About Me'. A classically trained eater...I so know that. The meatballs look absolutely delish...following you to keep track of your cooking!

    Cheers

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi and thank you, Suchi. It's a pleasure meeting new friends via the blog. Thank you for stopping by!

      Delete
  18. This looks fantastic! Can't wait to give it a try.

    ReplyDelete
  19. What a beautiful meatball dish! Sounds heavenly :) Happy to be your newest follower! Your pics are amazing, btw:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is certainly heavenly. Sometimes the simplest meals are the absolute best. Thank you for the compliment on the photos. I'm heading to your site now!

      Delete
  20. I would put this bacon sauce on EVERYTHING. EVERYTHING. And yes, I mean everything. Yum!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Well I bet everyone whistled for more on this one. Ideal for the skiing, family and friends and with a juicy glass of red! Cheers.

    ReplyDelete
  22. This sounds AMAZING! YUM!
    By the way, I nominated you for an award! :)
    http://cookincowgirl.blogspot.com/2012/02/liebster-blog-award.html

    ReplyDelete
  23. Bacon sauce?! Hello! I think I just found the love of my life! That first paragraph totally described me as well and then when I read bacon sauce, I skipped right to the recipe and drooled and then had to comment! Bacon drives me nuts! Awesomesauce!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Hi, I am so glad I found you. Gladly your new follower.
    This dish looks very delicious. Beautiful pictures.:))

    ReplyDelete
  25. Bacon sauce! Whaaa???! Omigoodness! And those meatballs sound exactly like my ideal, can't wait to try this!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for leaving a comment!

Popular posts from this blog

Bacon Guacamole

So, here's the thing. Bacon is so played out in the food world right now. We have bacon chocolate bars, bacon oil, bacon salt, bacon print band-aids, and bacon sundaes at Burger King. There is even a small restaurant in Austin, Texas called Bacon that serves, well, everything bacon (try the the bacon doughnut...just do it). Some truly sad souls people have a difficult time understanding why bacon should play such a leading role off the breakfast table. I say everything should taste like bacon. Bring it! Here is my small contribution to our over-saturated bacon kingdom, Bacon Guacamole .   I actually shed a tear when I tasted this. You can thank me later... Bacon Guacamole Time in kitchen: 10 minutes Servings: 8 (2 T serving) Nutrition information per serving:  100 calories, 9 grams fat, 3 grams fiber, 2 grams protein, 4 carbs Ingredients: 2 ripe avocados  the juice of 1/2 lime (or more to taste) 1 small garlic clove, grated 1 T fresh c

Grilled Asparagus Salad with Fried Quail Eggs

The Baltimore Farmer’s Market was beaming with pride as the stalls opened for the season on Sunday morning, and it has good reason to be prideful. It was recently voted #1 Farmer’s Market in the nation by Country Living.   Since it was 7:00 am after a long night out I was appropriately armed with coffee, sun glasses, and hippy-ass reusable tote bags. Asparagus has been in the forefront of my thoughts since eating a memorably crisp asparagus salad at Woodberry Kitchen . When I saw a pile of garden-fresh spears I couldn’t resist getting a few bundles for the week as well as my fair share of blue kale, foraged mushrooms, spinach, organic quail eggs, ramps, and a multitude of other goodies.   It is going to be a wonderfully food-filled week. Grilled Asparagus Salad with Fried Quail Eggs utilizes many of the seasonal ingredients I scored at the market. It’s only lightly seasoned to give the ingredients the stage. Fresh tarragon is laced throughout and the yolk from the gently fried

The Gathering: Baltimore's Food Truck Rally

Baltimore, with its big city grit and artistic underbelly, was destined to become an integral part of the Food Truck Nation. Over the last few years, gourmet food trucks have been popping up everywhere from LA to Austin, but mobile catering has been around since the beginning of times.   Coupled with the weakened economy and people’s undying need for great street food, we find ourselves at a fortunate cross road. We can eat gourmet food on the street. Lucky us. Talented chefs and savvy business people are all getting with the trend. The newest generation of food trucks are classing it up and getting experimental with menu items like crab fries and Korean tacos.  Baltimore’s food truck scene has grown over the last two years, and The Gathering propels the movement forward by forming a food truck rally that competes on a national scale. Lamb vindaloo? Check. Fish tacos? Check. Creamy soft serve and pretty cupcakes? Check.  This all happens within a small city