Skip to main content

Rockfish Ceviche, and a Marriage Lesson



Marriage is a great lesson on give and take. I will admit, during my first year as a married woman I had a hard time taking and an even harder time giving. I was so independent it was difficult for me to open a joint bank account so we could easily pay the bills. If he asked me to turn off the lights when I left the house, I would huff and puff until the house fell down. Then, something clicked. I realized he was just asking me to give him what he needed to be comfortable and joyful. As soon as I learned how to give more than I wanted to receive, I got a lot more in return. I am only three years in to married life, but I have learned more about myself with him than if I were doing this alone. It is an evolution of love and commitment that keeps me grounded and at ease.

I speak of marriage and giving because my audacious husband caught me a rockfish fresh from the Chesapeake Bay. Yes, he did. And when he brought it home fresh on ice, he expected me to help him filet it. I had to put my fear of fish eyes and guts behind me while we expertly fileted the 33 pound water beast with a little help from YouTube. And what did I get in return? The chance to make a pleasing batch of succulent and fresh Rockfish Ceviche, and eat it with him. Ain’t love grand?

Rockfish Ceviche
Prep: 30 min
Ready in: 2-3 hours
Serves: 4 (or 8 appetizer portions)

Ingredients:
  • 1 pound fresh rockfish, deboned and diced in to small cubes
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 8 limes, juiced
  • 2 Serrano peppers, seeds removed and diced
  • 2 stalks celery, diced
  • 1 tomato, seeded and diced
  • 5 green onions, diced
  • ½ cup fresh parsley, chopped
  • 1 avocado, diced
  • Freshly ground black pepper
  • 2 tablespoons olive oil
  • ¼ cup (packed) fresh cilantro, chopped
  • Tortilla Chips or Water Crackers
Directions:
  1. In a large bowl, toss the fish, serranos, celery, and salt together. Cover in lime juice (the fish should be completely immersed in the lime juice). Cover and let the mixture sit in the refrigerator until the fish starts to “cook” and turn opaque; about two-three hours. 
  2. Remove from the refrigerator and toss. Add tomato, green onion, parsley, diced avocado, black pepper, and half the cilantro. Lightly toss to mix without breaking avocado.
  3. Serve in chilled glasses topped with fresh olive oil and cilantro. Great with tortillas, tortilla chips, or water crackers for crunch.
*Cooks note: In order for the colors to remain vibrant and fresh, leave the tender herbs and vegetables out of the marinating process until the last few minutes before serving. Also, use a slotted spoon to drain some of the liquids while serving. Pssst...ceviche juice is known as a hangover cure called "Tiger's Milk". I dare you! 

Comments

  1. If he'll catch me some fresh rockfish, I'll turn of any light he wants!!! Hahaha! This looks fabulous. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well said, Kimmi - your points on marriage. We have just celebrated our 12 anniversary and still trying to perfect the art of give and take...

    Love your Rockfish Ceviche served in martini glasses!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good job making the rockfish into fillet and wow, your ceviche looks so good! He fish, and you cook - I see a perfect match. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. First of all... you both rock for catching your own and cleaning a big boy fish like this. I would freak out...I don't have the guts to clean a fish. I'm a fish wimp so I like it all in fillets and pretty before I get near it. Now my mother... she's no joke.. she can clean a fish so I wish I got that fearless DNA from her.

    Now this civiche looks amazing... the pictures are outstanding.

    PS... you are so right about the give and take in marriage. I have learned to pick my battles... it's just not worth it to get upset over all the little things.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes, ain't love grand. (Even though sometimes it takes a wet fish to make you realise it.) What a recipe you have - both here, in your photos of this lovely dish - and in your life. Congrats!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I loved reading this. When that seachange of attitude shifts in a relationship and it becomes less about you its very liberating in a way that is hard to describe. Now if I could only get my man to deliver unto me a Rockfish now and then! I'm jealous.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for leaving a comment!

Popular posts from this blog

Bacon Guacamole

So, here's the thing. Bacon is so played out in the food world right now. We have bacon chocolate bars, bacon oil, bacon salt, bacon print band-aids, and bacon sundaes at Burger King. There is even a small restaurant in Austin, Texas called Bacon that serves, well, everything bacon (try the the bacon doughnut...just do it). Some truly sad souls people have a difficult time understanding why bacon should play such a leading role off the breakfast table. I say everything should taste like bacon. Bring it! Here is my small contribution to our over-saturated bacon kingdom, Bacon Guacamole .   I actually shed a tear when I tasted this. You can thank me later... Bacon Guacamole Time in kitchen: 10 minutes Servings: 8 (2 T serving) Nutrition information per serving:  100 calories, 9 grams fat, 3 grams fiber, 2 grams protein, 4 carbs Ingredients: 2 ripe avocados  the juice of 1/2 lime (or more to taste) 1 small garlic clove, grated 1 T fresh c

Grilled Asparagus Salad with Fried Quail Eggs

The Baltimore Farmer’s Market was beaming with pride as the stalls opened for the season on Sunday morning, and it has good reason to be prideful. It was recently voted #1 Farmer’s Market in the nation by Country Living.   Since it was 7:00 am after a long night out I was appropriately armed with coffee, sun glasses, and hippy-ass reusable tote bags. Asparagus has been in the forefront of my thoughts since eating a memorably crisp asparagus salad at Woodberry Kitchen . When I saw a pile of garden-fresh spears I couldn’t resist getting a few bundles for the week as well as my fair share of blue kale, foraged mushrooms, spinach, organic quail eggs, ramps, and a multitude of other goodies.   It is going to be a wonderfully food-filled week. Grilled Asparagus Salad with Fried Quail Eggs utilizes many of the seasonal ingredients I scored at the market. It’s only lightly seasoned to give the ingredients the stage. Fresh tarragon is laced throughout and the yolk from the gently fried

The Gathering: Baltimore's Food Truck Rally

Baltimore, with its big city grit and artistic underbelly, was destined to become an integral part of the Food Truck Nation. Over the last few years, gourmet food trucks have been popping up everywhere from LA to Austin, but mobile catering has been around since the beginning of times.   Coupled with the weakened economy and people’s undying need for great street food, we find ourselves at a fortunate cross road. We can eat gourmet food on the street. Lucky us. Talented chefs and savvy business people are all getting with the trend. The newest generation of food trucks are classing it up and getting experimental with menu items like crab fries and Korean tacos.  Baltimore’s food truck scene has grown over the last two years, and The Gathering propels the movement forward by forming a food truck rally that competes on a national scale. Lamb vindaloo? Check. Fish tacos? Check. Creamy soft serve and pretty cupcakes? Check.  This all happens within a small city