Skip to main content

I Feel Bold, and a Classic Margarita with Fresh Mint




Throughout my life, I have struggled to find my voice. Not my talking voice. I found that right out of the womb. Just ask my mother. The voice I’m referring to is that mystical creature artist’s talk about when they are trying to discover what distinguishes them from the crowd. No one really knows what it means or how it can be found, but I have not found mine yet. Maybe it’s hiding under the bed.

The volumes of journals and notebooks I have filled over the years are bursting with words that were obviously written by someone with multiple personality disorder. Maybe that is just who I am, a girl with many voices. One minute I write about a first memory when my father was in the habit of trying to perfect lemon meringue pie. He would whip up meringue, and then cover my face with the soft peaks, creating a Santa-like beard on a tiny, almost in-the-buff three year old. I love that memory as much as I love lemon meringue pie. The next minute, I write about how unpleasant it feels to be in my own skin sometimes, because I am misplaced even though I feel bold for the first time in my life. Getting laid off in your early thirties just as you are finishing school can do that to a girl. I anticipate that these thoughts will eventually wane, and underneath I will find me again. I accept being flawed, just as long as I also feel daring enough to allow my many voices to be heard.   

When I’m feeling this way I often rely on a trusty side kick, a classic margarita with a little mojito twist of fresh mint. This is not to say I get drunk to hide my feelings. Oh no. Okay, maybe sometimes. But I do enjoy a perfectly crafted cocktail after a long day of trying to be a housewife, rewriting my resume, applying for jobs, and being creative in the kitchen. I made this margarita based on a recipe from a wonderful book called The Drunken Botanist by Amy Stewart. The book was given to me by a dear old friend who knows my many sides very well, and it is filled with wit and wisdom as well as many facts about the plants that make our fine spirits. Ms. Stewart is certainly a kindred spirit, and if you love learning while reading a great book as much as I do, I am sure you will have affection for her too.  

Classic Margarita with Fresh Mint, On the Rocks
Serves 2

You will need:
  • A cocktail shaker
  • Ice cubes
  • 2 old-fashioned glasses
Ingredients:
  • 4 ounces tequila (the recipe calls for 3, but let’s be serious)
  • 1 ½ ounces freshly squeezed lime juice
  • 1 ounce Grande Marnier or Cointreau (or another highly quality orange liqueur)
  • 2 tablespoons of agave syrup
  • 6 fresh mint leaves
  • Salt, for the rim
Directions:
  1. Rub the edge of each old-fashioned glass with a wedge of lime and dip in to the salt. 
  2. Fill glass with ice. 
  3. In a cocktail shaker, shake all of the ingredients except the slice of lime vigorously with ice.
  4. Strain over the prepared glasses (to keep big chunks of mint from falling in to the glass).
  5. Garnish with slice of lime and a sprig of mint. 
  6. Enjoy!

Comments

  1. Beautiful margarita! Definitely want to try this classic recipe.

    Happy Blogging!
    Happy Valley Chow

    ReplyDelete
  2. I swear I could have written this post. And have a few of these drinks. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Another kindred spirit! I hope you are enjoying your days off :)

      Delete
  3. I love your voice(s), and your unique perspective (camera in hand) on the world. And I happen to love a good margarita. This looks like a cross between margarita and mojito ... mmm.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is probably the most genuine and sweet comment...ever! Thank you :)

      Delete
  4. I think we all have lots of different "voices" in us. This drink sounds amazing because I love margaritas and mojitos.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Do you know, this is just what I need right now. Unfortunately I don't have any of the ingredients (but I am going shopping for them tomorrow).
    Gorgeous photos!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love a good margarita. You definitely has the classic feel especially with that very vintage glass you served it in. I am glad you found your voice... it's a very interesting voice indeed. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. As always, nice blog. I love reading about your voices/memories and lavishing in your artistic soul, even if through the juanty margarita. Love you girl. Momma

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love the addition of mint to the margarita...what a great idea!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for leaving a comment!

Popular posts from this blog

Bacon Guacamole

So, here's the thing. Bacon is so played out in the food world right now. We have bacon chocolate bars, bacon oil, bacon salt, bacon print band-aids, and bacon sundaes at Burger King. There is even a small restaurant in Austin, Texas called Bacon that serves, well, everything bacon (try the the bacon doughnut...just do it). Some truly sad souls people have a difficult time understanding why bacon should play such a leading role off the breakfast table. I say everything should taste like bacon. Bring it! Here is my small contribution to our over-saturated bacon kingdom, Bacon Guacamole .   I actually shed a tear when I tasted this. You can thank me later... Bacon Guacamole Time in kitchen: 10 minutes Servings: 8 (2 T serving) Nutrition information per serving:  100 calories, 9 grams fat, 3 grams fiber, 2 grams protein, 4 carbs Ingredients: 2 ripe avocados  the juice of 1/2 lime (or more to taste) 1 small garlic clove, grated 1 T fresh c

Grilled Asparagus Salad with Fried Quail Eggs

The Baltimore Farmer’s Market was beaming with pride as the stalls opened for the season on Sunday morning, and it has good reason to be prideful. It was recently voted #1 Farmer’s Market in the nation by Country Living.   Since it was 7:00 am after a long night out I was appropriately armed with coffee, sun glasses, and hippy-ass reusable tote bags. Asparagus has been in the forefront of my thoughts since eating a memorably crisp asparagus salad at Woodberry Kitchen . When I saw a pile of garden-fresh spears I couldn’t resist getting a few bundles for the week as well as my fair share of blue kale, foraged mushrooms, spinach, organic quail eggs, ramps, and a multitude of other goodies.   It is going to be a wonderfully food-filled week. Grilled Asparagus Salad with Fried Quail Eggs utilizes many of the seasonal ingredients I scored at the market. It’s only lightly seasoned to give the ingredients the stage. Fresh tarragon is laced throughout and the yolk from the gently fried

The Gathering: Baltimore's Food Truck Rally

Baltimore, with its big city grit and artistic underbelly, was destined to become an integral part of the Food Truck Nation. Over the last few years, gourmet food trucks have been popping up everywhere from LA to Austin, but mobile catering has been around since the beginning of times.   Coupled with the weakened economy and people’s undying need for great street food, we find ourselves at a fortunate cross road. We can eat gourmet food on the street. Lucky us. Talented chefs and savvy business people are all getting with the trend. The newest generation of food trucks are classing it up and getting experimental with menu items like crab fries and Korean tacos.  Baltimore’s food truck scene has grown over the last two years, and The Gathering propels the movement forward by forming a food truck rally that competes on a national scale. Lamb vindaloo? Check. Fish tacos? Check. Creamy soft serve and pretty cupcakes? Check.  This all happens within a small city