Skip to main content

Gluten Free Chocolate Chip Banana Pancakes


Pancakes, pearls, and elephants.

My birthday summed up in three words. Three words that filled me with more hope than imaginable. My 33rd birthday revived me after a tough month. I spent time with my mom. We painted and juiced together. We ate chocolate after juicing. My husband bought us tickets to the circus. I spied elephants, glitter, and a flying trapeze. I felt like a kid again. He placed a dainty string of pearls around my neck. I felt like a lady again.

We ate pancakes. Lots of them. And bacon.


March was filled with change and way too much of it. I lost a job I never really wanted. I’m nearing the end of a very long journey with school. I’m venturing out on my own without the chains of a conventional job weighing me down.

For the first time in a long time, I feel free. Although I have been quiet, it is not dispassion. I simply feel IT in my bones, this deep desire to be reflective and make a poignant step in the right direction. I’m ready to dive deep in to limitless exploration, no matter how scary or awkward it feels. Knowing me, it will most likely be very awkward.


I’ll begin by diving deep in to this giant stack of morning pancakes. Chocolate and banana are a dangerous combination. My husband made these on my birthday from a gluten free recipe we found and then heavily modified to our liking. With eyes and taste buds wide open, you would never guess these pancakes were gluten and dairy free. They are absolutely perfect. Of course, we cooked them on a hot griddle right next to sizzling bacon. This is a move you will also want to make.

You can add either a handful of chocolate chips or a sprinkle of fresh blueberries as they cook on the griddle surrounded by bacon fat. Both are delicious. Whether your choice is blueberries or chocolate, just know you can always make these again tomorrow and make a different choice. That is, after all, what makes life so great. There is more than one way to enjoy a pancake.

Chocolate Chip Banana Pancakes
*Gluten and Dairy Free
Prep time: 15 minutes
Cook time: 5-7 minutes per batch
Servings: 6
Nutritional Facts: 2 pancakes (calculated without optional ingredients) equals 260 calories, 10 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 61 mg cholesterol, 38 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 7 g protein.

Ingredients
  • 1 cup brown rice flour
  • 1/2 cup potato starch
  • 1/2 cup ground almonds (finely ground in a food processor)
  • 3 teaspoons sugar
  • 3 teaspoons baking powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon table salt
  • 2 eggs, room temperature
  • 1 cup almond milk, plain and unsweetened
  • 2 tablespoons margarine, melted (trans fat free and vegan is the way to go)
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla bean paste (or vanilla extract)
  • 1 ripe banana, mashed
Optional adds:
1/2 cup miniature semisweet chocolate chips
OR
1 cup fresh blueberries

Directions:
  1. In a large bowl, combine the rice flour, potato starch, ground almonds, sugar, baking powder and salt. Sift lightly with a fork to combine.
  2. In another bowl, whisk the eggs, milk, margarine and vanilla. With a fork mash in one ripe banana; stir wet mixture into dry ingredients just until moistened (do not over stir).
  3. Pour batter by 1/4 cup on to a hot griddle coated with cooking spray (or bacon fat…). Sprinkle in chocolate chips or blueberries. Cook until bubbles start to form on top then flip. Cook until the second side is golden brown. This recipe makes 12 small pancakes or 6 medium.

Comments

  1. Wow those pancakes look incredible! I haven't had chocolate chip pancakes in forever. Definitely want to try your recipe :)

    Happy Blogging!
    Happy Valley Chow

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wishing you a Happy Birthday!!! I'm sorry to hear you had some job setbacks. I hope you find the job of your dreams very soon ... skies the limit. :) These are the 2nd gorgeous looking chocolate chip pancake recipes I have seen in the last few days. I think the universe is telling me to seriously eat some. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy, happy birthday! I hope this year brings lots of happiness.

    Another optional add in for the pancakes: bacon. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. These look so good! Anything chocolate and banana is a win for me. Yum.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Now this is a perfect way to start the day. These look and sound delicious. I could cross the Alps with these under my belt:-). Have a wonderful day. Blessings...Mary

    ReplyDelete
  6. These pancakes look like a perfect day-starter to me! Best of luck with what lies ahead for you!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I lobe pancakes but I am on a diet, always-)) I cook a lot lately gluten-free and I love it. Dear friend I am wishing you to find the best job and perfect place for you talents!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Happy Birthday! Your husband is so sweet making these pancakes. My kids would beg me to put chocolate chips in pancakes if they know such thing. I actually want them so I'd love to give this a try! Good luck with everything!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Aw, your birthday sounded wonderful! And your pancakes are a yummy way to start any day :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love this recipe...Tastes delicious

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for leaving a comment!

Popular posts from this blog

Grilled Asparagus Salad with Fried Quail Eggs

The Baltimore Farmer’s Market was beaming with pride as the stalls opened for the season on Sunday morning, and it has good reason to be prideful. It was recently voted #1 Farmer’s Market in the nation by Country Living.   Since it was 7:00 am after a long night out I was appropriately armed with coffee, sun glasses, and hippy-ass reusable tote bags. Asparagus has been in the forefront of my thoughts since eating a memorably crisp asparagus salad at Woodberry Kitchen . When I saw a pile of garden-fresh spears I couldn’t resist getting a few bundles for the week as well as my fair share of blue kale, foraged mushrooms, spinach, organic quail eggs, ramps, and a multitude of other goodies.   It is going to be a wonderfully food-filled week. Grilled Asparagus Salad with Fried Quail Eggs utilizes many of the seasonal ingredients I scored at the market. It’s only lightly seasoned to give the ingredients the stage. Fresh tarragon is laced throughout and the yolk from the gently fried

Bacon Guacamole

So, here's the thing. Bacon is so played out in the food world right now. We have bacon chocolate bars, bacon oil, bacon salt, bacon print band-aids, and bacon sundaes at Burger King. There is even a small restaurant in Austin, Texas called Bacon that serves, well, everything bacon (try the the bacon doughnut...just do it). Some truly sad souls people have a difficult time understanding why bacon should play such a leading role off the breakfast table. I say everything should taste like bacon. Bring it! Here is my small contribution to our over-saturated bacon kingdom, Bacon Guacamole .   I actually shed a tear when I tasted this. You can thank me later... Bacon Guacamole Time in kitchen: 10 minutes Servings: 8 (2 T serving) Nutrition information per serving:  100 calories, 9 grams fat, 3 grams fiber, 2 grams protein, 4 carbs Ingredients: 2 ripe avocados  the juice of 1/2 lime (or more to taste) 1 small garlic clove, grated 1 T fresh c

The Gathering: Baltimore's Food Truck Rally

Baltimore, with its big city grit and artistic underbelly, was destined to become an integral part of the Food Truck Nation. Over the last few years, gourmet food trucks have been popping up everywhere from LA to Austin, but mobile catering has been around since the beginning of times.   Coupled with the weakened economy and people’s undying need for great street food, we find ourselves at a fortunate cross road. We can eat gourmet food on the street. Lucky us. Talented chefs and savvy business people are all getting with the trend. The newest generation of food trucks are classing it up and getting experimental with menu items like crab fries and Korean tacos.  Baltimore’s food truck scene has grown over the last two years, and The Gathering propels the movement forward by forming a food truck rally that competes on a national scale. Lamb vindaloo? Check. Fish tacos? Check. Creamy soft serve and pretty cupcakes? Check.  This all happens within a small city