Skip to main content

Avocado Chicken Salad


There has been a lot of talk on this site about avocados in the dead of winter. I see the irony of this situation: seasonal girl talking about foods out of season. But let me defend myself for just a moment. I like avocado (I told you I was simple). When I am in the produce section smelling, poking, and selecting the week’s ingredients, sometimes seasonal just does not matter. In this magnificent modern world of ours,  there is perfectly ripe, edible, and organic produce available to us out of season. I am not ashamed to grab a ripe avocado (or 4) to make grub in the middle of a snow storm, and you shouldn’t be either. Especially if you are about to make this chicken salad.

Avocado replaces much of the mayonnaise in this recipe creating a luxuriously creamy and fresh chicken salad filled with more nutrients and even more flavor per inch. Using a store bought rotisserie chicken is another time saver. This recipe is all about ease and comfort.

It doesn’t hurt that my husband absolutely adores it. He eats this salad piled high on toast, and I simply love it on top of a baby spinach and tomato salad with a sprinkle of course celtic sea salt. That’s how we roll. 

Avocado Chicken Salad
Prep time: 20 minutes

Servings: 10

Nutrition information per serving: 225 calories, 15 grams fat, 19 grams protein, 4 carbs

Ingredients:
  • 1 rotisserie chicken, shredded
  • 2 celery stalks, finely diced
  • ½ small onion, grated
  • 1 hardboiled egg, diced
  • 2 ripe avocados, diced
  • The juice of 1 lemon
  • 3 tablespoons light mayonnaise
  • 2 tablespoons fresh parsley, chopped
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • ½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
Directions:
  1. In a large bowl combine shredded chicken, celery, onion, egg, avocado, lemon juice, mayonnaise, salt and pepper. 
  2. Using a potato masher, “mash” all of the ingredients together until desired consistency. Toss with fresh parsley and serve.
Note: This makes enough chicken salad to feed a large family or an active, hungry man for a few days. The lemon juice helps to keep the avocado from browning; however, to ensure it stays fresh keep it in an air tight container with a layer of saran wrap tucked on top so no air seeps through.

Comments

  1. I for one could not go all winter and remain seasonal .. .I mean, there are only so many potatoes and root vegetables I can eat. In other words: I completely agree with you! It is most certainly not a sin to eat an avocado : )

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wellll... I'm eating an avocado right now, so I can't judge. I eat *mostly* seasonally, but sometimes you just need some creamy goodness. Love the look of this salad!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks like a beautiful and refreshing salad. Can't wait to try :)

    Happy Blogging!
    Happy Valley Chow

    ReplyDelete
  4. I always love finding new ways to add avocado into my diet. This looks creamy and delicious. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Seasonal or not. If I like it, I eat it and this salad sounds great!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ohhh yummy! I might use leftover rotisserie chicken for this salad. I usually use it for pasta etc, but this avocado salad looks great with the chicken!

    ReplyDelete
  7. you are preaching to the choir!
    i am constantly posting recipes that feature ingredients 'out of season', but there aren't many bloggers in Ecuador so my season gauge probably seems off to most food bloggers!
    we gotta cook and share what we love, whatever the season. :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for leaving a comment!

Popular posts from this blog

Bacon Guacamole

So, here's the thing. Bacon is so played out in the food world right now. We have bacon chocolate bars, bacon oil, bacon salt, bacon print band-aids, and bacon sundaes at Burger King. There is even a small restaurant in Austin, Texas called Bacon that serves, well, everything bacon (try the the bacon doughnut...just do it). Some truly sad souls people have a difficult time understanding why bacon should play such a leading role off the breakfast table. I say everything should taste like bacon. Bring it! Here is my small contribution to our over-saturated bacon kingdom, Bacon Guacamole .   I actually shed a tear when I tasted this. You can thank me later... Bacon Guacamole Time in kitchen: 10 minutes Servings: 8 (2 T serving) Nutrition information per serving:  100 calories, 9 grams fat, 3 grams fiber, 2 grams protein, 4 carbs Ingredients: 2 ripe avocados  the juice of 1/2 lime (or more to taste) 1 small garlic clove, grated 1 T fresh c

Grilled Asparagus Salad with Fried Quail Eggs

The Baltimore Farmer’s Market was beaming with pride as the stalls opened for the season on Sunday morning, and it has good reason to be prideful. It was recently voted #1 Farmer’s Market in the nation by Country Living.   Since it was 7:00 am after a long night out I was appropriately armed with coffee, sun glasses, and hippy-ass reusable tote bags. Asparagus has been in the forefront of my thoughts since eating a memorably crisp asparagus salad at Woodberry Kitchen . When I saw a pile of garden-fresh spears I couldn’t resist getting a few bundles for the week as well as my fair share of blue kale, foraged mushrooms, spinach, organic quail eggs, ramps, and a multitude of other goodies.   It is going to be a wonderfully food-filled week. Grilled Asparagus Salad with Fried Quail Eggs utilizes many of the seasonal ingredients I scored at the market. It’s only lightly seasoned to give the ingredients the stage. Fresh tarragon is laced throughout and the yolk from the gently fried

The Gathering: Baltimore's Food Truck Rally

Baltimore, with its big city grit and artistic underbelly, was destined to become an integral part of the Food Truck Nation. Over the last few years, gourmet food trucks have been popping up everywhere from LA to Austin, but mobile catering has been around since the beginning of times.   Coupled with the weakened economy and people’s undying need for great street food, we find ourselves at a fortunate cross road. We can eat gourmet food on the street. Lucky us. Talented chefs and savvy business people are all getting with the trend. The newest generation of food trucks are classing it up and getting experimental with menu items like crab fries and Korean tacos.  Baltimore’s food truck scene has grown over the last two years, and The Gathering propels the movement forward by forming a food truck rally that competes on a national scale. Lamb vindaloo? Check. Fish tacos? Check. Creamy soft serve and pretty cupcakes? Check.  This all happens within a small city