Skip to main content

Chickpea Soup with Kale and Prosciutto Crumble




Silence is the best medicine. It especially helps to alleviate recent events in my life. For instance, silence treats the death of a loved one, the death of an oven, a sprained ankle, the flu, and major car problems. When life throws lemons at you like an All-Star pitcher, sit back and catch them like a pro. Park yourself in a comfy place surrounded by cute animals, Uggs, dirty tissues, Nyquil, and  Bon Appétit until the lemon storm subsides. 

Then get up, shake off the dust, possibly take a shower, and make a bowl of this soup.

Chickpea soup with kale and prosciutto crumble was inspired by an article I read in the Bon Appétit magazine while bundled up during said flu pandemic. I changed a few ingredients but the spirit of the soup is the same. It is simple, filling, and slightly tart from the aged white wine vinegar. The acidity of the soup is perfectly balanced by salty crumbles of roasted kale and prosciutto. If you love kale chips then you will love the topping for this soup. In fact, make extra.

And for an added case of the reals … my friends… get your flu shot. Ugh. 

xo


Chickpea Soup with Kale and Prosciutto Crumble
(Inspired by Bon Appétit, Feb 2013 edition)

Ingredients:
  • 1 1/2 cups dried chickpeas, or 3 15-ounce cans chickpeas, rinsed
  • 3 tablespoons olive oil
  • 3 large shallots, coarsely chopped
  • 4 garlic cloves, chopped
  • 2 sprigs thyme
  • 1/4 cup aged white wine vinegar
  • 6 cups low sodium chicken broth (I prefer Swanson)  
  • 1 cups fresh basil, coarsely chopped
  • Kosher salt, to taste
  • 3 cups kale, stems removed and cut in to 3 inch pieces
  • 3 ounces prosciutto
Directions:
  1. If using dried chickpeas, in a large pot cover chickpeas with 3 cups of water. Bring to a boil; turn off the heat immediately, cover and let sit for an hour. Drain.
  2. Heat oil in a large heavy pot over medium heat. Add shallots, garlic, and thyme sprigs; cook, stirring occasionally, until shallots and garlic are soft, 10-15 minutes. Add white wine vinegar. Bring to a rapid simmer; cook until vinegar is reduced by half, about 5 minutes. Add chickpeas and broth and bring to a boil. Reduce heat, cover, and simmer until chickpeas are very soft, 1 1/2-2 hours for dried chickpeas, or about 30 minutes for canned. Discard thyme sprigs.
  3. Working in batches, purée soup in a blender or with an immersion blender, adding more broth by 1/2-cupfuls if needed, until smooth. Season with salt.
  4. Meanwhile, preheat the oven to 325 degrees. On a large sheet pan, toss kale in a tablespoon of olive oil, salt and pepper. Spread out evenly on half of the sheet pan. On the other half, lay prosciutto in an even layer (If you find you need more than one sheet pan, by all means use two. Put the kale on the top rack and the prosciutto on the bottom rack). Cook until crispy, about 30 minutes; tossing once or twice during cooking.
  5. Reheat soup. Divide soup among bowls and crumble kale and prosciutto on top for garnish.

Comments

  1. Oh girl... I was regretting my decision not to get a flu shot last week. Hope you're better now!

    Love this soup. It reminds my of my hummus soup... which I totally forgot about. But I need to get on the kale and proscuitto train!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh gosh. The flu knocked me out with a 104 fever for three days then I was graced with the aftermath of bronchitis and sinusitis... I'm just now feeling better after three weeks. Never again will I ignore the flu shot. This soup is so good! and I'm so glad your brush with the flu was tempered to only a few days. yay!

      Delete
  2. Oh man this sounds delicious! I love a good soup this time of year...especially when it's -10°F out! Ugghhh I hate Pennsylvania this time of year! Thanks for sharing :)

    Sincerely,
    Happy Valley Chow

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've never have chickpea on the soup,looks creamy and colorful,perfect for this cold weather :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. So sorry to hear you have been going through a tough time. Simply put.. being sick sucks! My entire family got the flu shot... but still we have been sick off and on from before Christmas. I am back to having a cold this week.. so I can't wait until Spring comes and life blossoms again.

    I hear you about sitting on the comfy couch and just vegging a bit... I try to do that too... but with two kids it's hard to get the quality vegging I desire. LOL!

    I have never seen a cream of chickpea soup before... sound amazing and healthy. I am sure this soup will help with the ills that ail you.

    Take care! :)

    ~ Ramona :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I usually love soup, but the past few months I have just been feeling it. The thought of soup was just "ick" to me. I think you cured me, because I can not wait to make this, in fact I wish I had a bowl right now to eat in a nice silent corner. Yummy. Feel better.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I hope you feel better soon. This soup looks really amazing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! It's hard to go wrong with bean soup, salty meat and crispy kale. LOL. Hope you are well!

      Delete
  7. It looks so creamy and delicious - great toppers too!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This soup will have to have you on the mend. I've been faithfully getting a flu shot for years now. (I still want the soup!)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I want this soup but there wouldn't be any silence. I'd be slurping like a puppy dog eating this, it looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Such a healthy soup! Good idea for a cold weather. Lovely bee on the spoon-))

    ReplyDelete
  11. i've never actually had a chickpea soup, but from the looks of this, i want to!

    ReplyDelete
  12. On cold days like today this looks so comforting and inviting! I love your idea of kale and prosciutto topping!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Looks really good since I love chickpeas and kale! So healthy.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm so sorry to hear that you've been ill. This looks delicious--I love a good thick soup when I'm feeling miserable.

    ReplyDelete
  15. This is great for these chilly days, it looks yummy! Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  16. G'day! Looks and sounds delish, TRUE!
    Love the staging of your photo and this is now on my list to do!
    Cheers! Joanne

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for leaving a comment!

Popular posts from this blog

Bacon Guacamole

So, here's the thing. Bacon is so played out in the food world right now. We have bacon chocolate bars, bacon oil, bacon salt, bacon print band-aids, and bacon sundaes at Burger King. There is even a small restaurant in Austin, Texas called Bacon that serves, well, everything bacon (try the the bacon doughnut...just do it). Some truly sad souls people have a difficult time understanding why bacon should play such a leading role off the breakfast table. I say everything should taste like bacon. Bring it! Here is my small contribution to our over-saturated bacon kingdom, Bacon Guacamole .   I actually shed a tear when I tasted this. You can thank me later... Bacon Guacamole Time in kitchen: 10 minutes Servings: 8 (2 T serving) Nutrition information per serving:  100 calories, 9 grams fat, 3 grams fiber, 2 grams protein, 4 carbs Ingredients: 2 ripe avocados  the juice of 1/2 lime (or more to taste) 1 small garlic clove, grated 1 T fresh c

Grilled Asparagus Salad with Fried Quail Eggs

The Baltimore Farmer’s Market was beaming with pride as the stalls opened for the season on Sunday morning, and it has good reason to be prideful. It was recently voted #1 Farmer’s Market in the nation by Country Living.   Since it was 7:00 am after a long night out I was appropriately armed with coffee, sun glasses, and hippy-ass reusable tote bags. Asparagus has been in the forefront of my thoughts since eating a memorably crisp asparagus salad at Woodberry Kitchen . When I saw a pile of garden-fresh spears I couldn’t resist getting a few bundles for the week as well as my fair share of blue kale, foraged mushrooms, spinach, organic quail eggs, ramps, and a multitude of other goodies.   It is going to be a wonderfully food-filled week. Grilled Asparagus Salad with Fried Quail Eggs utilizes many of the seasonal ingredients I scored at the market. It’s only lightly seasoned to give the ingredients the stage. Fresh tarragon is laced throughout and the yolk from the gently fried

The Gathering: Baltimore's Food Truck Rally

Baltimore, with its big city grit and artistic underbelly, was destined to become an integral part of the Food Truck Nation. Over the last few years, gourmet food trucks have been popping up everywhere from LA to Austin, but mobile catering has been around since the beginning of times.   Coupled with the weakened economy and people’s undying need for great street food, we find ourselves at a fortunate cross road. We can eat gourmet food on the street. Lucky us. Talented chefs and savvy business people are all getting with the trend. The newest generation of food trucks are classing it up and getting experimental with menu items like crab fries and Korean tacos.  Baltimore’s food truck scene has grown over the last two years, and The Gathering propels the movement forward by forming a food truck rally that competes on a national scale. Lamb vindaloo? Check. Fish tacos? Check. Creamy soft serve and pretty cupcakes? Check.  This all happens within a small city