Skip to main content

Roasted Pumpkin with Rosemary Pepita Pesto




For more than a decade my grandparents have owned a home directly on the water at Smith Mountain Lake, a rustic small town in the heart of Virginia. At least five times a year the family members uproot their normal lives to drive hours to this charmed place. We drink, we eat, we laugh, and we annoy the hell out of each other. The men typically spend the entire weekend fixing things while the women cook and the kids sleep in. It’s just the way it is down there. We all revert to 1950’s house wives.

I am not sure if it is the long, windy tree topped roads, the gorgeous Virginia Mountains, or the absolute tranquility we feel spending just a couple of days in the country. But we simply can’t stop going, and we simply would not. All of us don’t make it down for every weekend but we do our best. The kids are all in college, the older cousins are establishing their lives, and the aunts and uncles are strewn about. The truly special occasions are when we all make it, and the house is filled with wild hooligans just ready to cook, drink, and chat the night away by fireside on the gorgeous wooden deck overlooking what feels like our lake. All of this makes me miss my mom, dad, and brother while I bond with my father’s side of the family. It also makes me feel not so alone since they moved to Texas.

A couple of month ago just when autumn was beginning to take root, and the leaves were slowly changing colors, we hopped in the car and met the family there for a long weekend. After a morning run on the quiet roads I joined my aunts to scout for antiques. We soon found ourselves headed to a farm for pumpkins and a corn maze. My aunts were kind enough to appease my childish need to finally run through corn; something I truly have never done, and took only minutes to find our way out of. After surviving the maze and wild boars (exaggeration alert: they were wildly mean but they were fenced in), we then found ourselves in a giant pumpkin patch raping the farmer of all his most beautiful pumpkins. Considering the farm was selling them for pennies on the dollar we scooped up more than 20 of them for a ridiculously low price. So ridiculously low that I refuse to part with the farms name because I am going back next year to pillage again, and I don’t feel like sharing. There were green ones, white ones, giant jack o lanterns, and gorgeous cheese wheel pumpkins that were light creamy orange and “squashed” resembling a wheel of cheese (hence the name). I couldn’t take my eyes off them, and when the farmer helped us carry our loot back to the barn he told us these were the absolute best pumpkins to make pie with. 


Cheese wheel pumpkins are simply the most delicious, sweet, soft pumpkins I have ever tasted. Their flesh is much less stringy than a traditional pumpkin and much sweeter. I cracked open the smallest one and got a beautiful whiff of fresh sweet pumpkin. I just knew I wanted to do more with it than roast and puree for pies. I came up with this savory recipe which you can also make with butternut squash if you can’t find one of these beauties. It is absolutely delicious, and a perfect side dish for a holiday buffet.

Pumpkins are infamously hard to crack open, seed, and chop but I have a few tricks up my sleeve.  
  1. Cut straight down one side of the stem with a very heavy, sharp knife
  2. Clean out the halves using a large thin-edged spoon, discard the stringy pulp and clean/dry the seeds for roasting later.
  3. Place pumpkin cut side down and slice in to wedges about 1 inch thick. It is best to wedge the pumpkin first before peeling…unless you want to spend an hour try to peel the pumpkin.
  4. Remove the peel from each wedge using a sharp paring knife, then slice the wedge in to cubes.
  5. Tada! You are ready to make the recipe below. One small cheese wheel pumpkin yielded at least 10 cups of pumpkin. Save the rest in an air tight container in the fridge. Feel free to roast and puree the rest for pumpkin pie. Will last 5-7 days.

Roasted Pumpkin with Rosemary Pepita Pesto

Time in kitchen (not including pumpkin carving time): 45 minutes
Servings: 4
Nutrition information per serving: 125 calories, 2 grams saturated fat, 4 grams protein, 10 carbohydrates

Ingredients:  
  • 4 cups fresh cheese wheel pumpkin, cubed (butternut squash is a great alternative)
  • 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
  • 1 teaspoon fresh rosemary, chopped
  • 3 sprigs of thyme, leaves removed from stem
  • 1 teaspoon sea salt
  • Freshly cracked black pepper
For the Rosemary Pepita Pesto:
  • 2 cups fresh flat leaf parsley
  • 1 tablespoon rosemary leaves
  • 1/3 cup pepitas, toasted
  • 1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
  • The juice from ½ meyer lemon
  • 1 small garlic clove, roughly chopped
  • ½ teaspoon sea salt (more to taste)
Directions:
  1. Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Lay pumpkin in a single layer on a large sheet pan. Drizzle with olive oil, salt, rosemary, thyme, and pepper. Toss to coat. Roast in the oven for 40 – 45 minutes, removing once to toss. Cook until a knife can easily pierce the flesh and the pumpkin is caramelized.
  2. While the pumpkin roasts place the flat leaf parsley, rosemary, toasted pepitas, meyer lemon juice, chopped garlic, and salt in a small food processor. Blend until it is a desired consistency, scraping down the sides a few times to well incorporate.  
  3. To plate, top the warm roasted pumpkin with dollops of pesto (about 3 tablespoons) and a drizzle of extra virgin olive oil. This recipe makes more than enough pesto. I only used about ¼ of the recipe. Pesto keeps well in the refrigerator for a few days. Also great on pasta, salads, or dolloped on creamy soups.

Comments

  1. I love your beautiful story. Rustic small town sounds very interesting. Amazing recipe also and the colors in your dish are just perfect for the season-) Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I just love going to small rustic towns. Life would not be the same without these little experiences.

      Delete
  2. What's neat place to have! I wish my family got together like that.

    This pesto looks so good. I love that you used Meyer lemon. It's citrusy sweetness is perfect against rosemary.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The meyer lemon really makes it work. and just a little rosemary goes a loooong way.

      Delete
  3. Your family retreat home sounds absolutely idyllic! Those pumpkin wheels are the most nostalgic looking pumpkins I have ever seen. They look like they come from yester-year. I have never tried or seen one... but I bet they tasted fabulous. This is a beautiful roast pumpkin dish... it would definitely impress on any Thanksgiving table. I hope you have a wonderful Thanksgiving with your family. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aren't the pumpkins just amazing? If they didn't taste so good I would never cut them up and eat them. Pretty as a picture.

      Delete
  4. This looks beautiful, such vibrant colors and I bet it is delicious. Lovely story too and lucky you getting to run through the corn. I want to do that. Have a wonderful Thanksgiving.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love the colors of fall and all of the food that comes with it. I hope you have a wonderful holiday season!

      Delete
  5. I didn't know that's what those kinds of pumpkin are called! I love it. And I don't know that I've ever cooked with one ... love pumpkin in savory dishes, I think I am going to have to find your farmer! ; )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't that a cute name for a pumpkin? Savory pumpkin dishes are the best. I could eat pumpkin every day!

      Delete
  6. You had me at pepitas. That pesto is really intriguing. Have a fantastic Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The pesto really brightens up the dish. I hope you are enjoying the holidays.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for leaving a comment!

Popular posts from this blog

Bacon Guacamole

So, here's the thing. Bacon is so played out in the food world right now. We have bacon chocolate bars, bacon oil, bacon salt, bacon print band-aids, and bacon sundaes at Burger King. There is even a small restaurant in Austin, Texas called Bacon that serves, well, everything bacon (try the the bacon doughnut...just do it). Some truly sad souls people have a difficult time understanding why bacon should play such a leading role off the breakfast table. I say everything should taste like bacon. Bring it! Here is my small contribution to our over-saturated bacon kingdom, Bacon Guacamole .   I actually shed a tear when I tasted this. You can thank me later... Bacon Guacamole Time in kitchen: 10 minutes Servings: 8 (2 T serving) Nutrition information per serving:  100 calories, 9 grams fat, 3 grams fiber, 2 grams protein, 4 carbs Ingredients: 2 ripe avocados  the juice of 1/2 lime (or more to taste) 1 small garlic clove, grated 1 T fresh c

Grilled Asparagus Salad with Fried Quail Eggs

The Baltimore Farmer’s Market was beaming with pride as the stalls opened for the season on Sunday morning, and it has good reason to be prideful. It was recently voted #1 Farmer’s Market in the nation by Country Living.   Since it was 7:00 am after a long night out I was appropriately armed with coffee, sun glasses, and hippy-ass reusable tote bags. Asparagus has been in the forefront of my thoughts since eating a memorably crisp asparagus salad at Woodberry Kitchen . When I saw a pile of garden-fresh spears I couldn’t resist getting a few bundles for the week as well as my fair share of blue kale, foraged mushrooms, spinach, organic quail eggs, ramps, and a multitude of other goodies.   It is going to be a wonderfully food-filled week. Grilled Asparagus Salad with Fried Quail Eggs utilizes many of the seasonal ingredients I scored at the market. It’s only lightly seasoned to give the ingredients the stage. Fresh tarragon is laced throughout and the yolk from the gently fried

The Gathering: Baltimore's Food Truck Rally

Baltimore, with its big city grit and artistic underbelly, was destined to become an integral part of the Food Truck Nation. Over the last few years, gourmet food trucks have been popping up everywhere from LA to Austin, but mobile catering has been around since the beginning of times.   Coupled with the weakened economy and people’s undying need for great street food, we find ourselves at a fortunate cross road. We can eat gourmet food on the street. Lucky us. Talented chefs and savvy business people are all getting with the trend. The newest generation of food trucks are classing it up and getting experimental with menu items like crab fries and Korean tacos.  Baltimore’s food truck scene has grown over the last two years, and The Gathering propels the movement forward by forming a food truck rally that competes on a national scale. Lamb vindaloo? Check. Fish tacos? Check. Creamy soft serve and pretty cupcakes? Check.  This all happens within a small city