Skip to main content

Tropical Granola


It is time for some personal reflection and possibly some over sharing.

I admit it. I am a granola grubbing, early rising, long haired, peace on earth loving hippy. I like waking up before the sun, lacing up my dirty running shoes, and enjoying the greatness of the morning while I pound the pavement. These days, I’m a little slower than usual but that is beside the point.

I like my mornings even more when I have a big bowl of homemade tropical granola to munch on. I keep this granola recipe on hand to eat by the spoonful or the handful whenever the mood strikes. Each bite transports me to the islands where I can stare at the waves from my umbrella covered chair and down pina coladas. 

Inspired by a recipe in a recent issue of Bon Appetit, tropical granola is easy to make and easy to eat. I took out a few steps and changed a few ingredients from the original recipe to minimize the dirty dishes, and up the tropics factor of this summery treat.  

Tropical Granola
Inspired by Bon Appetit
Servings: 12
Nutrition Information per serving: 275 calories, 14 fat, 31 carbohydrates, 16 sugars, 7 grams protein

Ingredients

2 ¼ cups old-fashioned oats (I used Trader Joes Gluten Free Oats)
1 tablespoon flaxseeds (optional)
¼ cup finely shredded unsweetened coconut
3/4 teaspoon kosher salt, divided
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
1/3 cup maple syrup
4 tablespoons coconut oil, divided
2 tablespoons (packed) light brown sugar
3/4 cup raw almonds, coarsely chopped
1/3 cup raw shelled pumpkin seeds (pepitas)
1 tablespoon sugar
1 cup dates, chopped
Greek-style yogurt (I used coconut milk yogurt)
Thinly sliced mangoes, bananas, or other fresh fruit

Directions

Heat oven to 300°.  In a medium bowl mix oats, flaxseeds, shredded coconut, ¼ tsp. salt, cinnamon, and ginger. Add 1 cup hot tap water; mix thoroughly and let stand for 15 minutes to soften oats.

In a small saucepan bring maple syrup, 2 Tbsp. coconut oil, and brown sugar to a boil; stirring to dissolve sugar; remove from heat. Add maple syrup mixture to oat mixture and toss to coat. Spread out in an even layer on a large rimmed baking sheet lined with parchment paper.

Mix remaining 1/2 tsp. salt, remaining 2 Tbsp. oil, almonds, pumpkin seeds, and sugar in a medium bowl. Set aside.

Bake oats, taking out of the oven and tossing 2-3 times, until a light golden brown, about 40 minutes. Take the mixture out of the oven and toss with the nut mixture. Put the oats and nuts back in the oven and bake, stirring occasionally, until golden brown, 10–12 minutes. Place sheet on a wire rack and let nut mixture cool completely.

Combine oats and nuts mixture with dates in a large bowl. This granola will last a week if stored in an airtight container at room temperature.

Serve tropical granola in shallow bowls with Greek-style yogurt and sliced fruit.

Comments

  1. Looks gorgeous and delish! What a hippie!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am trying to convert myself into an early riser and doing a good job of it after my internal clock being totally thrown off by a trip to the States (we are 11 hours ahead of the East Coast here in Bangkok!). A good breakfast is definitely a good motivator to get an early start, and this granola sounds like something that I would love! I am pinning it to make up a batch this weekend...thanks for the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your hippie granola! Not too much sugar, too. You just need to add some hemp seeds and you'll be a super-hippie.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love granola! I never make a tropical version {crazy, I know!} but this looks so good I'm going to give 'er a shot. Love the description of your mornings. Heaven!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a nice recipe! I love making my own homemade granola too! Love it over yogurt!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You know, I've made granola bars but never granola.Don't know why. . . Now I will!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I wonder if, instead of dates, maybe dried mangoes? I don't think you're a hippie at all ... maybe that makes me one?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mmmmm. Dried mangoes would be super yummy. I like that idea. I always have dates on hand so I just tossed those in instead of the traditional raisin... let's toss tradition out the window!

      Delete
  8. I wish I could lace up and run... it's inspiring to me that you do that. This does look like a lovely bowl of the tropics. I can see why you enjoy feeding your soul with this breakfast in the morning. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm a big fan of homemade granola and your tropical version sounds just fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am an early riser who would love this for breakfast! I love that tropical touch and that hippie thing going on!

    ReplyDelete
  11. You make mornings sound so lovely, I'm trying to adopt that attitude! Maybe a bowl of this would help.... :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh, does this look like a winner!!! I'm a huge fan of granola...and no store bought version is ever as good as homemade. I never thought of using coconut oil, but I will with my next batch :) YUM.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Now I have to try making this homemade granola,,,,sound yummy,great recipe,Thanks for sharing !!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love this tropical combination. I would love to have this for my breakfast... It feels like summer is coming eating this :D

    ReplyDelete
  15. It is soooo dangerous for me to have granola around. I can literally tear through a whole bag of the good stuff in one sitting. This tropical version would be extra dangerous!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are so right about that. I have to keep a little 1/4 cup scooper in there to ensure I don't eat an entire batch!

      Delete
  16. I'm a morning person, too--exercise first thing in the morning is the best, at least most days. It's been eons since I've made my own granola, but this looks amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I have the same oats from TJs! I bookmarked this and want to try this soon! I have most of ingredients. I can't wait to try!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for leaving a comment!

Popular posts from this blog

Bacon Guacamole

So, here's the thing. Bacon is so played out in the food world right now. We have bacon chocolate bars, bacon oil, bacon salt, bacon print band-aids, and bacon sundaes at Burger King. There is even a small restaurant in Austin, Texas called Bacon that serves, well, everything bacon (try the the bacon doughnut...just do it). Some truly sad souls people have a difficult time understanding why bacon should play such a leading role off the breakfast table. I say everything should taste like bacon. Bring it! Here is my small contribution to our over-saturated bacon kingdom, Bacon Guacamole .   I actually shed a tear when I tasted this. You can thank me later... Bacon Guacamole Time in kitchen: 10 minutes Servings: 8 (2 T serving) Nutrition information per serving:  100 calories, 9 grams fat, 3 grams fiber, 2 grams protein, 4 carbs Ingredients: 2 ripe avocados  the juice of 1/2 lime (or more to taste) 1 small garlic clove, grated 1 T fresh c

Grilled Asparagus Salad with Fried Quail Eggs

The Baltimore Farmer’s Market was beaming with pride as the stalls opened for the season on Sunday morning, and it has good reason to be prideful. It was recently voted #1 Farmer’s Market in the nation by Country Living.   Since it was 7:00 am after a long night out I was appropriately armed with coffee, sun glasses, and hippy-ass reusable tote bags. Asparagus has been in the forefront of my thoughts since eating a memorably crisp asparagus salad at Woodberry Kitchen . When I saw a pile of garden-fresh spears I couldn’t resist getting a few bundles for the week as well as my fair share of blue kale, foraged mushrooms, spinach, organic quail eggs, ramps, and a multitude of other goodies.   It is going to be a wonderfully food-filled week. Grilled Asparagus Salad with Fried Quail Eggs utilizes many of the seasonal ingredients I scored at the market. It’s only lightly seasoned to give the ingredients the stage. Fresh tarragon is laced throughout and the yolk from the gently fried

The Gathering: Baltimore's Food Truck Rally

Baltimore, with its big city grit and artistic underbelly, was destined to become an integral part of the Food Truck Nation. Over the last few years, gourmet food trucks have been popping up everywhere from LA to Austin, but mobile catering has been around since the beginning of times.   Coupled with the weakened economy and people’s undying need for great street food, we find ourselves at a fortunate cross road. We can eat gourmet food on the street. Lucky us. Talented chefs and savvy business people are all getting with the trend. The newest generation of food trucks are classing it up and getting experimental with menu items like crab fries and Korean tacos.  Baltimore’s food truck scene has grown over the last two years, and The Gathering propels the movement forward by forming a food truck rally that competes on a national scale. Lamb vindaloo? Check. Fish tacos? Check. Creamy soft serve and pretty cupcakes? Check.  This all happens within a small city