Skip to main content

Rainbow Kale Salad with Avocado Oil Vinaigrette





Kale is the newest super food to make waves in the fitness industry and health freaks everywhere are stuffing it in to their diets as fast as they can. All varieties of kale are high in manganese, as well as vitamins C, K and A, making this vegetable a force to be reckoned with. I use kale in smoothies, egg skillet bakes, and most recently in raw salads as the leafy green of choice. 

Don’t let its rough exterior fool you. You can soften kale with just a loving touch. Massaging raw kale with a little bit of oil and salt brings out its tender side and takes away any bitterness that might linger on your palette.

Make this Rainbow Kale Salad with Avocado Oil Vinaigrette and you might just save this super food from being thrown in to yet another pot of boiling water. Not that those hammy, salty, boiled greens don’t have a place in my heart (especially next to fried chicken).

Rainbow Kale Salad with Avocado Oil Vinaigrette
Time in Kitchen: 15 minutes
Servings: 4
Nutrition information per serving: 300 calories, 20 grams fat, 14 carbohydrates, 7 grams protein

Salad Ingredients:
1 bunch of dinosaur kale, de-stemmed and cut in to bite size pieces 
1 Tbsp. avocado oil
salt and pepper, to taste
2 carrots, shaved in to thin ribbons with a vegetable peeler
1 red bell pepper, julienned
1 granny smith apple, julienned (toss in a squeeze of lemon juice just after slicing)
1 cup roasted sunflower seeds (save 1/4 cup to top salad)

For Avocado Oil Vinaigrette:
2 Tbsp. Avocado oil
1/2 lemon, juiced
1 clove garlic, roughly chopped
1 Tbsp. sweet basil, roughly chopped
1 Tsp. dijon mustard
½ Tsp. salt
1 tsp. freshly ground black pepper

Directions:
In a large bowl toss kale with one tablespoon of avocado oil and a liberal pinch of salt. With your hands gently massage the kale in the oil and salt until it softens. When the kale is thoroughly massaged (it should look slightly wilted and shrink in bulk by half) toss with bell pepper, apple (toss in lemon juice to inhibit browning), and ¾ cup of the sunflower seeds. Set aside.

In a blender or food processor whisk all of the vinaigrette ingredients until combined. toss the salad with the vinaigrette immediately before serving. To plate, top single portions with a small handful of sunflower seeds.

Great as a light lunch! If you keep the dressing separate this can be made 2 days ahead.   

Comments

  1. I absolutely love kale. I use it in my morning smoothies, in salads and in sautes. This looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've missed your posts! thank god I have kale in the fridge. This needs to happen soon. Gorgeous colors in this, as usual. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a gorgeous salad!!! And I love the idea of an avocado vinaigrette...so yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Of all the myriad greens that we have here in Thailand, I have yet to see kale - at least the kind that we have in the States. This salad is so gorgeous though...I'll have to try it with some other kale-like green!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It looks and sounds healthy and delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the colors in this salad! And the dressing sounds awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love Kale and this salad looks perfect! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am almost embarrassed to say I haven't found any kale around here that wasn't so bitter I couldn't get it down. I know it's good for me but at my house, it if doesn't taste good, it doesn't last.

    Your salad looks amazing and I'll bet I could eat that. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It certainly happens. Kale can get very bitter if it is grown in the heat. I'm growing my dino kale indoors with great success!

      Delete
  9. This is a perfect salad. I really want to try the avocado oil too, I haven't seen it yet. Funny how the kale softens up when you massage it. I have used fresh avocado and massaged that into the kale. Love this stuff and your recipe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Suzi! Avocado oil is such a treat. I found mine at a local organic market. In fact, that reminds me I am almost out and need to buy some more.

      Delete
  10. What an interesting technique to massage the kale to soften it--kale is one of my favorite veggies, but it does tend to start out tough. This looks fabulous and colorful.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm so glad I found your post. I always avoid raw kale and had no idea that massaging it takes out the bitterness! I will have to try that. Your salad sounds delicious and so healthy.

    ReplyDelete
  12. This year I discovered kale and I love how you made salad with it! I gotta find avocado oil!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love this salad! It is so beautifully colored and so nutritious! I am in love with both avocadoes and kale so this is perfect!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for leaving a comment!

Popular posts from this blog

Bacon Guacamole

So, here's the thing. Bacon is so played out in the food world right now. We have bacon chocolate bars, bacon oil, bacon salt, bacon print band-aids, and bacon sundaes at Burger King. There is even a small restaurant in Austin, Texas called Bacon that serves, well, everything bacon (try the the bacon doughnut...just do it). Some truly sad souls people have a difficult time understanding why bacon should play such a leading role off the breakfast table. I say everything should taste like bacon. Bring it! Here is my small contribution to our over-saturated bacon kingdom, Bacon Guacamole .   I actually shed a tear when I tasted this. You can thank me later... Bacon Guacamole Time in kitchen: 10 minutes Servings: 8 (2 T serving) Nutrition information per serving:  100 calories, 9 grams fat, 3 grams fiber, 2 grams protein, 4 carbs Ingredients: 2 ripe avocados  the juice of 1/2 lime (or more to taste) 1 small garlic clove, grated 1 T fresh c

Grilled Asparagus Salad with Fried Quail Eggs

The Baltimore Farmer’s Market was beaming with pride as the stalls opened for the season on Sunday morning, and it has good reason to be prideful. It was recently voted #1 Farmer’s Market in the nation by Country Living.   Since it was 7:00 am after a long night out I was appropriately armed with coffee, sun glasses, and hippy-ass reusable tote bags. Asparagus has been in the forefront of my thoughts since eating a memorably crisp asparagus salad at Woodberry Kitchen . When I saw a pile of garden-fresh spears I couldn’t resist getting a few bundles for the week as well as my fair share of blue kale, foraged mushrooms, spinach, organic quail eggs, ramps, and a multitude of other goodies.   It is going to be a wonderfully food-filled week. Grilled Asparagus Salad with Fried Quail Eggs utilizes many of the seasonal ingredients I scored at the market. It’s only lightly seasoned to give the ingredients the stage. Fresh tarragon is laced throughout and the yolk from the gently fried

The Gathering: Baltimore's Food Truck Rally

Baltimore, with its big city grit and artistic underbelly, was destined to become an integral part of the Food Truck Nation. Over the last few years, gourmet food trucks have been popping up everywhere from LA to Austin, but mobile catering has been around since the beginning of times.   Coupled with the weakened economy and people’s undying need for great street food, we find ourselves at a fortunate cross road. We can eat gourmet food on the street. Lucky us. Talented chefs and savvy business people are all getting with the trend. The newest generation of food trucks are classing it up and getting experimental with menu items like crab fries and Korean tacos.  Baltimore’s food truck scene has grown over the last two years, and The Gathering propels the movement forward by forming a food truck rally that competes on a national scale. Lamb vindaloo? Check. Fish tacos? Check. Creamy soft serve and pretty cupcakes? Check.  This all happens within a small city