Skip to main content

Forbidden Rice Salad with Coconut Crusted Tofu and Roasted Sweet Potatoes


This robust salad is filled with surprises. Toasted and crunchy crusted tofu, roasted yams, creamy macadamia nuts, and silky black rice is tossed together to create a unique burst of color and flavors.
This recipe makes enough for a crowd so pull it out for that next BBQ. It is a great vegan dish to serve to those who won’t be partaking in the meat fĂȘte, but it also holds up well next to a hearty piece of fish, steak or grilled chicken.

Forbidden Rice Salad with Coconut Crusted Tofu and Roasted Yams 

Time in Kitchen: 60 minutes
Servings: 10
Nutrition information per serving: 297 calories, 13 grams fat, 2 grams sugar, 40 carbohydrates, 12 grams protein

Ingredients:
2 cups dry black rice
5 medium organic sweet potatoes, peeled and diced in to squares
16 oz. organic extra firm sprouted tofu, diced in to squares
1/4 cup organic finely shredded coconut, toasted
½ cup macadamia nuts, toasted and chopped
¼ cup fresh mint leaves, chopped
1 tbsp. fresh cilantro, chopped
2 tbsp. coconut oil
2 tbsp. tamari soy sauce
1 tsp. red pepper flakes
1 tsp. oyster sauce
1 tsp. ginger
3 cloves garlic, grated
Sea salt (to taste)

Directions:
Preheat the oven to 450 degrees.

Prepare black rice according to package directions; about 45 minutes. Spread the rice evenly on a clean sheet pan to release steam and cool. Set aside.

In a small bowl, heat the coconut oil in the microwave for 30 seconds to liquefy. Whisk in tamari, red pepper flakes, oyster sauce, ginger, and garlic. Set aside.

Spread the diced sweet potatoes evenly on a clean sheet pan; toss with half of the coconut oil dressing. Spread the diced tofu (roughly the same size as the sweet potatoes) on another clean sheet pan; toss gently with remaining dress and a heavy handful of shredded coconut.

Put the sweet potatoes in the 450 degree preheated oven. After fifteen minutes remove the sweet potatoes, toss and return to the top rack. Put the tofu on the bottom rack and cook until the sweet potatoes and tofu are golden brown; about 15-20 minutes.

In a large serving bowl gently combine the sweet potatoes, tofu, and black rice. Add sea salt to taste (I do not recommend adding more tamari since it might overpower the other ingredients). Stir in chopped mint and cilantro. Garnish with toasted macadamia nuts and toasted shredded coconut.

This salad is best served immediately while warm or at room temperature. If you are going to serve it a few hours after cooking, keep the ingredients separate until it’s ready for the table.

Enjoy!

Comments

  1. Wow, looks delish! It's a food combination I could never imagine. What was your inspiration?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My inspiration was a free day in the kitchen with a few wild ingredients to tame. It's amazing what can happen when one has a moment to breathe!

      Delete
  2. OMG - this looks insanely good. I'd love to add some sriracha and devour all 10 servings with a pinot gris. YUM.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You know I added sriracha to mine. so friggen good.

      Delete
  3. I have that same possessive instinct, but it usually involves bread. Wow, that's a gorgeous salad. It looks amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my! This looks amazing! I love the idea of coconut crusted tofu - brilliant!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I must say, this recipe sounds delicious. I will have to expand my taste palette and try this out. Yum! Have a wonderful weekend.

    XX Hilary

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful photos, Kimmi, of a yummy and healthy dish :) Have a great weekend, my friend~

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is a pretty awesome dish! You really do have an eye for pairing elements together and this is a great example. Wonderful flavors as well as texture. Another winner-enjoy the weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful! I have to try black rice ... my husband won't eat brown, and I won't eat white ... so perhaps this is a good compromise. :)

    Thanks for stopping by to comment today!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Looks fabulous and we do go veg from time to time. This will be a perfect dish to go with a bowl of salad.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This looks amazing! I've got a bag of black rice that I've been dying to make into something interesting, and this sounds like it just might be the perfect recipe I've been waiting for. :) Also, that coconut-crusted tofu sounds out of this world amazing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really was a great combo and I loooove black rice. The coconut crusted tofu wasa revelation. What a treat! Love to hear what you think if you make this.

      Delete
  11. Wow,,,I never seen one like this,all my favorite ingredients, rice,coconut and tofu mixed together,sound really tasty !!

    Ridwan

    ReplyDelete
  12. My family loves black rice and that means they will love your casserole. This looks delicious, I hope you have a great day. Blessings...Mary

    ReplyDelete
  13. Kim this is a wonderful salad, I love it. I have some black rice but haven't used it yet, this is a great recipe and the coconut crusted tofu sounds killer. I could nibble on this all day. Just subscribed via e-mail, sorry I missed this.

    ReplyDelete
  14. So many great flavors and textures in this dish.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wow I've never thought of using these ingredients together, very good recipe and sounds so tasty!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love everything in this salad most especially the tofu! Truly so healthy and delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I heard about the Chinese black rice story before. I love how you cooked the rice with coconut crusted tofu (YUM YUM YUM!!) and sweet potatoes (my favorite)!! I wasn't sure about black rice before but now your dish got my full attention. Looks beautiful, too!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You have to try black rice. You will love it! I'm thinking of making black rice sushi next. Hehe

      Delete
  18. I love all the flavors you have in this salad. Looks delicious and your photos are beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  19. A great recipe to make for my daughter who seams to be allergic to so many proteins. I'm always looking for good tofu recipes. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Love the coconut crusted tofu...cool spin. And I always dig black rice and oyster sauce.

    ReplyDelete
  21. WOW! I love forbidden rice, but only have one recipe for it currently! I can't wait to try this one though!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Awesome, Forbidden rice is basically type of black rice which is also known as chinese black rice. It includes amino acid, phytochemicals and phytonutrients, which offer antioxidants as well as various other health benefits. Moreover, the rice provides various minerals that are important for human health such as iron. Got an excellent source of information you can get more here:

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for leaving a comment!

Popular posts from this blog

Grilled Asparagus Salad with Fried Quail Eggs

The Baltimore Farmer’s Market was beaming with pride as the stalls opened for the season on Sunday morning, and it has good reason to be prideful. It was recently voted #1 Farmer’s Market in the nation by Country Living.   Since it was 7:00 am after a long night out I was appropriately armed with coffee, sun glasses, and hippy-ass reusable tote bags. Asparagus has been in the forefront of my thoughts since eating a memorably crisp asparagus salad at Woodberry Kitchen . When I saw a pile of garden-fresh spears I couldn’t resist getting a few bundles for the week as well as my fair share of blue kale, foraged mushrooms, spinach, organic quail eggs, ramps, and a multitude of other goodies.   It is going to be a wonderfully food-filled week. Grilled Asparagus Salad with Fried Quail Eggs utilizes many of the seasonal ingredients I scored at the market. It’s only lightly seasoned to give the ingredients the stage. Fresh tarragon is laced throughout and the yolk from the gently fried

Bacon Guacamole

So, here's the thing. Bacon is so played out in the food world right now. We have bacon chocolate bars, bacon oil, bacon salt, bacon print band-aids, and bacon sundaes at Burger King. There is even a small restaurant in Austin, Texas called Bacon that serves, well, everything bacon (try the the bacon doughnut...just do it). Some truly sad souls people have a difficult time understanding why bacon should play such a leading role off the breakfast table. I say everything should taste like bacon. Bring it! Here is my small contribution to our over-saturated bacon kingdom, Bacon Guacamole .   I actually shed a tear when I tasted this. You can thank me later... Bacon Guacamole Time in kitchen: 10 minutes Servings: 8 (2 T serving) Nutrition information per serving:  100 calories, 9 grams fat, 3 grams fiber, 2 grams protein, 4 carbs Ingredients: 2 ripe avocados  the juice of 1/2 lime (or more to taste) 1 small garlic clove, grated 1 T fresh c

Chocolate Junk Granola Squares

Dear Dairy,  We have endured a strong yet tragic relationship for many years. Doctors tell me not to devour even a morsel of your charms, but you always find a way back in to my life. Whether you linger on a cracker, curl up snugly to some macaroni, stand tall in a breakfast glass or sprinkle yourself on salads, your charm is undeniable. I swoon your way time and time again. But you are not good for me. When you are in my daily life I get too many colds, my skin turns pink and rashy, my bones ache, my hair gets dull, my tummy hurts, and my brain fogs over slowly until I eventually forget the names of even the simplest things. Not only does your presence affect me physically, but I am emotionally and mentally damaged by you. This is not a healthy relationship. If you see me on a crowded street or in a seedy cafĂ©, please turn the other way. I am not strong enough to say no. Not yet. You will not hear from me again until I have the power to be in your presence without succum