Skip to main content

Go on, Get Wild!

Salmon is the super man of the sea. Loaded with Omega-3 fatty acids it is proven to be a natural way to fight against far-too common diseases like heart disease, diabetes and obesity. But that isn’t the only reason salmon is making an appearance in my kitchen lately. Super salmon is also super delicious which makes it a go to protein.

Unfortunately, the majority of farm raised salmon is fed a poor diet including corn (huh?) and a whole lot of other nonsense which makes it far less nutrient dense and not as tasty. Many salmon “factories” are putting red food coloring in the poor little fishes to make them appear super nutrient rich. I don’t know about you but I want my food to taste good… and real… like it should. So, I only purchase wild salmon whenever possible.

This recipe highlights a beautiful piece of wild salmon laced with southwestern spice. The pistachio is a Middle Eastern nut, but hopefully you trust me by now. Pistachios in the rice pilaf and lemon in the guacamole give this dish depth and a little twist.


Let’s put it this way, my taste tester said this salmon dish should be the first item we put on our future restaurant menu. I say that is a seal of approval.


So go on and get wild in the kitchen tonight!


Recipe makes 4 servings 
Time in kitchen: 1 hour 
Nutrition information per serving: 520 calories, 45 carbohydrates, 5 grams of fiber

Pistachio Brown Rice Pilaf:



Ingredients: 
2 cups dry brown rice, rinsed
3 ¾ cups water (or low-sodium organic vegetable stock)
Heavy pinch of kosher salt
½ teaspoon oregano
¼ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
½ teaspoon cumin
¼ teaspoon garlic powder
2 cups fresh baby spinach, roughly chopped
¼ cup pistachios

Rinse the rice and then cook according to package directions. Use slightly less water than the package says (about ¼ cup less) for fluffy rice. When the rice is done, fluff with a fork. Mix in salt, pepper, oregano, cumin, garlic powder, chopped baby spinach and pistachios.

Grilled Wild Salmon: 


 

Ingredients: 
1 lb wild Alaskan salmon (4, 4 oz filets)
1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
½ teaspoon kosher salt
½ teaspoon Mexican chili powder
½ teaspoon chipotle powder
½ teaspoon cumin
½ teaspoon oregano
¼ teaspoon garlic powder

Preheat grill pan on medium high. Mix olive oil with salt and spices; slather filets with mixture. Allow the salmon to marinade in the spice mixture for at least five minutes. Place the fish on the flesh side first; about 3 minutes. Reduce heat to medium. Flip filets and grill skin side down; about 5 minutes until skin is crispy and fish is medium (I like it slightly pink in the middle).

Lemon Guacamole: 


 

Ingredients: 
2 ripe avocados (any varietal)
The juice of one lemon
¼ teaspoon garlic powder
¼ teaspoon salt
Pepper, to taste

Cut avocados in half and remove the seed. Scoop out flesh and mix with lemon juice, garlic powder, salt and pepper (to taste).

Comments

  1. I don't do the seafood, but I can get on-board with the rest of this! I'd love to try the salmon flavors (some of my favorites!) in tofu with the pilaf and guac. Great idea!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm torn on the no seafood, no lean meat thing. Although I'm really loving my protein shakes, no processed foods and clean eating! I feel 100x better in just a week. This dish is super delish. It would be great with a hunk of tofu too.

      Delete
  2. I have never put pistachio in brown rice but I am loving this idea. So cool, this looks delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm going to make this soon! Love the pistahio idea a lot!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That brown rice pistachio pilaf is killing me. Must have some soon!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well you really know how to treat a salmon. Love the pilaf, I would probably eat all of that first and then dive into the flaky spicy salmon. I would need to appreciate all the great flavor singularly first, so maybe I would mix the two in a bite the second time making this. Delicious meal!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is just amazing! Brown rice with pistachios must have been a a fantastic dish! I love salmon and I think the flavors you have on it is just perfect. I am on the quest to buy chipotle powder, but it seems so expensive the few places I looked for it. $8 for a little tiny bottle. Yes... I'm cheap. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are so right, chipotle powder can be so expensive! but I am always willing to spend a little cash on herbs and spices. My husband is building me an herb garden for this very reason. LOL

      Delete
  7. What a fabulous meal, Kimmi! I love everything you've made...from the salmon to the rice to the fabulous guacamole topping! Yum, yum!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I can live my life without meat, but I can't live without fish! It just tastes so good :) Never knew about the whole farm raised salmon story :S Those poor fishes...

    ReplyDelete
  9. Salmon with guacamole this is a new combo for me...must give it a try...that pilaf looks yummy :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Salmon and avocado is a new combination for me as well, but I must say it worked really well with the flavors here.

      Delete
  10. Wow! These looks so amazingly delicious! Salmon is my favorite fish & I like the way you've associated it with lemon guacamole! I love all your dishes full with colors & so appetizing! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! I love salmon as well, especially when it is freshly caught. I try to keep life colorful and that starts with my food :) have a great weekend!

      Delete
  11. I have gone wild looking at your lovely photo and can go wilder when I taste this dish:D

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love salmon, especially if it's Scottish ;-) but adore you're wild steaks with extra wild side with the pistachios in there (my fav!), gaucamole, lemon, spices. Looks fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Beautiful dish with salmon and rice pilaf!! We eat fish 2-3 times a week so I try my best to buy wild fish and almost don't buy farm. I did not know about food coloring. Now I'm aware that part too. That's scary! Thank you for letting me know.

    Your pilaf sounds awesome. I need to try rice with pistachio - sounds really delicious. What a lovely meal all together. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  14. I LOVE seafood! This is right up my alley. Beautifully plated. pistachio is a great addition.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Salmon is the only fish my hubby will eat...and it looks fabulous with these SW flavors! I bite the bullet when it comes to pricing and always buy wild salmon, too~

    ReplyDelete
  16. the food and the presentation is fantastic....looks so delicious!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for leaving a comment!

Popular posts from this blog

Bacon Guacamole

So, here's the thing. Bacon is so played out in the food world right now. We have bacon chocolate bars, bacon oil, bacon salt, bacon print band-aids, and bacon sundaes at Burger King. There is even a small restaurant in Austin, Texas called Bacon that serves, well, everything bacon (try the the bacon doughnut...just do it). Some truly sad souls people have a difficult time understanding why bacon should play such a leading role off the breakfast table. I say everything should taste like bacon. Bring it! Here is my small contribution to our over-saturated bacon kingdom, Bacon Guacamole .   I actually shed a tear when I tasted this. You can thank me later... Bacon Guacamole Time in kitchen: 10 minutes Servings: 8 (2 T serving) Nutrition information per serving:  100 calories, 9 grams fat, 3 grams fiber, 2 grams protein, 4 carbs Ingredients: 2 ripe avocados  the juice of 1/2 lime (or more to taste) 1 small garlic clove, grated 1 T fresh c

Grilled Asparagus Salad with Fried Quail Eggs

The Baltimore Farmer’s Market was beaming with pride as the stalls opened for the season on Sunday morning, and it has good reason to be prideful. It was recently voted #1 Farmer’s Market in the nation by Country Living.   Since it was 7:00 am after a long night out I was appropriately armed with coffee, sun glasses, and hippy-ass reusable tote bags. Asparagus has been in the forefront of my thoughts since eating a memorably crisp asparagus salad at Woodberry Kitchen . When I saw a pile of garden-fresh spears I couldn’t resist getting a few bundles for the week as well as my fair share of blue kale, foraged mushrooms, spinach, organic quail eggs, ramps, and a multitude of other goodies.   It is going to be a wonderfully food-filled week. Grilled Asparagus Salad with Fried Quail Eggs utilizes many of the seasonal ingredients I scored at the market. It’s only lightly seasoned to give the ingredients the stage. Fresh tarragon is laced throughout and the yolk from the gently fried

The Gathering: Baltimore's Food Truck Rally

Baltimore, with its big city grit and artistic underbelly, was destined to become an integral part of the Food Truck Nation. Over the last few years, gourmet food trucks have been popping up everywhere from LA to Austin, but mobile catering has been around since the beginning of times.   Coupled with the weakened economy and people’s undying need for great street food, we find ourselves at a fortunate cross road. We can eat gourmet food on the street. Lucky us. Talented chefs and savvy business people are all getting with the trend. The newest generation of food trucks are classing it up and getting experimental with menu items like crab fries and Korean tacos.  Baltimore’s food truck scene has grown over the last two years, and The Gathering propels the movement forward by forming a food truck rally that competes on a national scale. Lamb vindaloo? Check. Fish tacos? Check. Creamy soft serve and pretty cupcakes? Check.  This all happens within a small city