Skip to main content

Simply Vegan Cream of Broccoli Soup

Anyone who knows me understands my affection for cooking shows. Watching cheerful people making food is much more cathartic than the upsetting local news or staged reality television. Cooking shows are an escape as well as a learning experience. The fact that Guy, Rachael, Paula and Emeril are household names leads me to believe I am not alone on this one.

But let’s talk soup. I recently watched an episode of The Pioneer Woman where she made an absolutely luscious cream of broccoli soup that was glistening with cheese, ham and loads of cream. I wanted/needed a bowl of it pronto and went searching for magical ingredients that could mimic my ex-friend, dairy. It turns out coconut milk's richness and consistency does just that. To ensure the "cheesiness" shines through I add a bit of nutritional yeast at the very end. 

This healthier version of an all-time comfort soup will not disappoint you. 

Simply Vegan Cream of Broccoli Soup
Time in Kitchen: 35 minutes
Servings: 5
Nutrition information per serving: 201 calories, 15 carbohydrates, 16 grams fat, 5 grams protein

Ingredients
1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
2 parsnips, rough chop (the white parsnips  help to retain the bright green color while adding depth of flavor)
1 large vidalia onion, roughly chopped
2 cloves garlic, grated
2 heads of broccoli, roughly chopped (or 1 bag of frozen broccoli)
4 cups vegetable broth (water works fine here as well)
1 teaspoon kosher salt
½ teaspoon paprika
½ teaspoon pepper
4 tablespoons nutritional yeast
1 (15 oz) can light coconut milk, more to taste

Heat olive oil in a large stock pot on medium heat. Add parsnips, onion, and garlic; cook until tender, about 5 minutes. Add broccoli, broth, salt, pepper and paprika; cover and simmer until the broccoli is tender, about 15 minutes. Reduce heat to low; add coconut milk and nutritional yeast; stir to combine. Bring the soup up to temperature; about 5 minutes (do not allow it to boil). With an immersion blender, blend soup until desired consistency.  Sprinkle in salt and pepper to taste.  Serve piping hot.

Comments

  1. This soup looks fabulous! Sometimes all the cheese and cream is just too much, so I am glad you landed on a much healthier substitute. I will need to try this-yum!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks fantastic, and I bet the soup tastes really good with the coconut milk for the creaminess. I like this.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm typically not a broccoli fan, but this looks great with the coconut milk in it! And the parsnips! I may have to reconsider my aversion to broccoli soup. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a gorgeous soup!!! It looks so delicious, too...what great ingredients!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It looks so hearty and delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a great soup! I had no idea you could use coconut milk like that! Oh the possiblities!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm totally loving the coconut milk lately too, although I never would have thought to put it in cream of broccoli soup! Glad it delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Cream of broccoli soup with coconut milk sounds delicious! I've never tried using coconut milk in soup, thanks for this great recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  9. LOL.. I watched the same Pioneer Woman episode with my kids. They love watching cooking shows with me too and it's a genre I don't have to worry about them hearing something inappropriate. Plus it's something we can watch together without the mind-numbing kid shows they like to watch. :) I love cream of broccoli soup and this looks like a warm bowl of comfort. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. This soup is a stunner and I'm sure it tastes every bit as good as it looks.I'd love to join you in a bowl. Have a great evening.Blessings...Mary

    ReplyDelete
  11. Coconut milk to the rescue! So yummy and awesome to cook with. Your vegan soup looks velvety, creamy and totally delicious :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love the blue chips as a contrast :) I love vegan recipes, I'm def. going to try this!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Let em know if you love this soup as much as I do. I'm actually making it again tonight!

      Delete
  13. Ah! I just made cream of broccoli soup tonight, although it wasn't dairy free. You have definitely managed to make a normally dairy laden soup healthy and delicious! Great job and great photo!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Ah, coconut milk - isn't it magic?? Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Lovely colors on this--and I could totally serve this to the vegan friend who I don't know what to cook for!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I never thought to use coconut milk in soup. Great idea!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Using coconut milk in soup hit me like a ton of bricks! And I haven't regretted it since. I think I've made this soup three times since I wrote it. It's really simple and amazingly good. You should try it!

      Delete
  17. this looks and sounds great! i normally don eat broccoli but this seems like a good way to get veggies into my system. thanks for sharing the recipe

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for leaving a comment!

Popular posts from this blog

Bacon Guacamole

So, here's the thing. Bacon is so played out in the food world right now. We have bacon chocolate bars, bacon oil, bacon salt, bacon print band-aids, and bacon sundaes at Burger King. There is even a small restaurant in Austin, Texas called Bacon that serves, well, everything bacon (try the the bacon doughnut...just do it). Some truly sad souls people have a difficult time understanding why bacon should play such a leading role off the breakfast table. I say everything should taste like bacon. Bring it! Here is my small contribution to our over-saturated bacon kingdom, Bacon Guacamole .   I actually shed a tear when I tasted this. You can thank me later... Bacon Guacamole Time in kitchen: 10 minutes Servings: 8 (2 T serving) Nutrition information per serving:  100 calories, 9 grams fat, 3 grams fiber, 2 grams protein, 4 carbs Ingredients: 2 ripe avocados  the juice of 1/2 lime (or more to taste) 1 small garlic clove, grated 1 T fresh c

Grilled Asparagus Salad with Fried Quail Eggs

The Baltimore Farmer’s Market was beaming with pride as the stalls opened for the season on Sunday morning, and it has good reason to be prideful. It was recently voted #1 Farmer’s Market in the nation by Country Living.   Since it was 7:00 am after a long night out I was appropriately armed with coffee, sun glasses, and hippy-ass reusable tote bags. Asparagus has been in the forefront of my thoughts since eating a memorably crisp asparagus salad at Woodberry Kitchen . When I saw a pile of garden-fresh spears I couldn’t resist getting a few bundles for the week as well as my fair share of blue kale, foraged mushrooms, spinach, organic quail eggs, ramps, and a multitude of other goodies.   It is going to be a wonderfully food-filled week. Grilled Asparagus Salad with Fried Quail Eggs utilizes many of the seasonal ingredients I scored at the market. It’s only lightly seasoned to give the ingredients the stage. Fresh tarragon is laced throughout and the yolk from the gently fried

The Gathering: Baltimore's Food Truck Rally

Baltimore, with its big city grit and artistic underbelly, was destined to become an integral part of the Food Truck Nation. Over the last few years, gourmet food trucks have been popping up everywhere from LA to Austin, but mobile catering has been around since the beginning of times.   Coupled with the weakened economy and people’s undying need for great street food, we find ourselves at a fortunate cross road. We can eat gourmet food on the street. Lucky us. Talented chefs and savvy business people are all getting with the trend. The newest generation of food trucks are classing it up and getting experimental with menu items like crab fries and Korean tacos.  Baltimore’s food truck scene has grown over the last two years, and The Gathering propels the movement forward by forming a food truck rally that competes on a national scale. Lamb vindaloo? Check. Fish tacos? Check. Creamy soft serve and pretty cupcakes? Check.  This all happens within a small city