Skip to main content

Marinated Cauliflower Steaks with Pearl Couscous Medley



Watch out world! Cauliflower steaks are taking over the food scene. These hearty slabs of veg made their way on to the pages of Bon Appétit this month and everyone is intrigued. Sometimes, the best ideas are right in front of your face. If you love roasted cauliflower florets this recipe is for you. 

This version is marinated and served with pearl couscous medley. The medley is filled with raw vegetables, a great compliment to the tenderly roasted cauliflower steaks. Treat them like a hardy slab of beef: slice ‘em thick, slather with marinade, and roast on high to develop a sweetness only caramelization can impart.  

There might be a twinge of sadness when your family discovers the lack of meat on the plate, but the frowns will turn upside down at first bite. Serve with a steak knife and a smile. 

Marinated Cauliflower Steaks with Pearl Couscous Medley 



Time in the Kitchen: 60 minutes
Servings: 4
Nutrition information per serving: 450 calories, 21 fat, 58 carbs, 10 protein

Ingredients
1 large head of cauliflower, cut in to 1 inch slabs
1 cup pearl couscous, dry
4 tablespoons grape seed oil
3 tablespoons white wine vinegar
2 garlic cloves, grated
2 teaspoons raw honey
½ teaspoon dried tarragon
½ teaspoon dried parsley
Pinch of red pepper flakes
Pinch of salt, to taste
¼ roasted red pepper, diced
¼ fresh green bell pepper, diced
20 kalamata olives, pitted and diced
1 can chickpeas, rinsed and drained

Directions

Preheat oven to 450 degrees.

Cook couscous according to package directions. Set aside.

De-stem the cauliflower with a paring knife being sure to keep the core intact. With the core side down, start from the center and slice 1” steaks. Finely chop and reserve the cauliflower pieces that broke loose.

Whisk together grape seed oil, vinegar, tarragon, garlic, honey, parsley, red pepper flakes, and salt to taste. Place the steaks in a large heavy roasting pan. Using half of the dressing, generously slather both sides of the cauliflower steaks. Allow them to sit in the marinade for at least ten minutes. Transfer the cauliflower steaks to the oven; roast until tender and caramelized, about 30 minutes.

In a large bowl, combine reserved cauliflower with the remaining dressing, roasted pepper, bell pepper, kalamata olives, couscous, and chickpeas. Allow the mixture to sit while the cauliflower steaks finishing roasting.

To plate, top each cauliflower steak generously with the pearl couscous medley. 


Comments

  1. I have seen these popping up on menus and have been very eager to try it, though I always end up ordering an actual steak, lol. I will have to make it at home!! Looks great.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When I came across it my little lights came on. I mean, it is pretty smart, don't ya think? And that fact that it is a new food prep idea AND good is pretty exciting :)

      Delete
  2. Omgosh... you and Ann from "cooking healthy for me" just made the same dish from Bon Appetit! Jinx!! Well... I wanted to cook this when I saw her blog... but now I'm really going to have to do it with both of you making it. :) Well done and really fantastic photos!! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know! I thought it was so funny we both made it on the same night. Hers looks delish, for sure. :)

      Delete
  3. I saw something similar in F&W a few months ago. I've never been a cauliflower fan, but I do trust you and the spices you used sound delicious... I may have to give in and try it again. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am not a huge cauliflower fan either, but I do like it mashed or roasted. If you really don't like cauliflower, try this recipe without the raw nibbles in the salad. Then you will just have the sweet roasted variety :)

      Delete
  4. OMG, that's gorgeous! No meat needed. I love the different shapes and textures you've got in the dish with the chickpeas, pearl couscous and cauliflower.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I was definitely going for texture with this dish to help me feel okay about a meatless entree. I really liked it. My husband pretty much ate enough to feed three people. That is always a good sign :)

      Delete
  5. Oh, these are picture PERFECT! LOVE the twist you did with them...brilliant! Bravo!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Ann! I really want to try it they way you did it as well. I bet the tomato sauce is perfect for it.

      Delete
  6. Nice and would love this try this for my family. Yes to cauliflower and hoping that if I do away with the couscous, it should be fine. Bookmarking for our meal at home and esp for me, that change I made to becoming a vegetarian means this is perfect meal.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wonderful! I look forward to hearing how you prepare it!

      Delete
  7. Second fabulous cauliflower steak recipe I've seen...I must try this method! YUM!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Cauliflower is like brussel sprouts - so many people don't like it because they've openly ever had it cooked totally wrong. Steaming it just has no flavor, but it is SO good when cooked properly!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was never a fan of cauliflower until I roasted it. It is SO good roasted... and mashed like potatoes. mmmm.

      Delete
  9. I laugh in the face of beef! These steaks look incredible :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha! So funny. To be honest, I want a nice, red piece of beef right now... Cauliflower might not do it for me tonight! :)

      Delete
  10. Cauliflower can be a bit of a loner and needs good friends like garlic, honey, herbs and heat to bring out the best in it. Lovely pics - almost as tempting as a fillet steak to an omnivore like me, and a great veggie alternative.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I completely agree! Marinating the cauliflower steaks in some hearty flavors really helped it stand out. It's a great alternative when you don't want the heaviness of a steak. I have to admit, however, that I love a good piece of perfectly cooked beef as well :)

      Delete
  11. Oh... I love this recipe! And I love the marinade for the cauliflower too. Healthy and super-delicious - Kudos!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I've been intrigued about these for quite some time - looks amazing =)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I saw the similar post at Ann's site and both of you made such a delicious meal!!!! I love cauliflowers so I'm lucky to have two recipes of cauliflower steaks! Your presentation is stunning. No meat is necessary (even though I'm not vegetarian!). Yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Never thought I'd see the words 'cauliflower' and 'steak' joined up like that! Looks amazing and I can imagine how flavoursome they are. Thanks! Anthony :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. I remember seeing this in that issue! Looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Bookmarking! This looks delicious. Such a gorgeous photo, too!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for leaving a comment!

Popular posts from this blog

Bacon Guacamole

So, here's the thing. Bacon is so played out in the food world right now. We have bacon chocolate bars, bacon oil, bacon salt, bacon print band-aids, and bacon sundaes at Burger King. There is even a small restaurant in Austin, Texas called Bacon that serves, well, everything bacon (try the the bacon doughnut...just do it). Some truly sad souls people have a difficult time understanding why bacon should play such a leading role off the breakfast table. I say everything should taste like bacon. Bring it! Here is my small contribution to our over-saturated bacon kingdom, Bacon Guacamole .   I actually shed a tear when I tasted this. You can thank me later... Bacon Guacamole Time in kitchen: 10 minutes Servings: 8 (2 T serving) Nutrition information per serving:  100 calories, 9 grams fat, 3 grams fiber, 2 grams protein, 4 carbs Ingredients: 2 ripe avocados  the juice of 1/2 lime (or more to taste) 1 small garlic clove, grated 1 T fresh c

Grilled Asparagus Salad with Fried Quail Eggs

The Baltimore Farmer’s Market was beaming with pride as the stalls opened for the season on Sunday morning, and it has good reason to be prideful. It was recently voted #1 Farmer’s Market in the nation by Country Living.   Since it was 7:00 am after a long night out I was appropriately armed with coffee, sun glasses, and hippy-ass reusable tote bags. Asparagus has been in the forefront of my thoughts since eating a memorably crisp asparagus salad at Woodberry Kitchen . When I saw a pile of garden-fresh spears I couldn’t resist getting a few bundles for the week as well as my fair share of blue kale, foraged mushrooms, spinach, organic quail eggs, ramps, and a multitude of other goodies.   It is going to be a wonderfully food-filled week. Grilled Asparagus Salad with Fried Quail Eggs utilizes many of the seasonal ingredients I scored at the market. It’s only lightly seasoned to give the ingredients the stage. Fresh tarragon is laced throughout and the yolk from the gently fried

The Gathering: Baltimore's Food Truck Rally

Baltimore, with its big city grit and artistic underbelly, was destined to become an integral part of the Food Truck Nation. Over the last few years, gourmet food trucks have been popping up everywhere from LA to Austin, but mobile catering has been around since the beginning of times.   Coupled with the weakened economy and people’s undying need for great street food, we find ourselves at a fortunate cross road. We can eat gourmet food on the street. Lucky us. Talented chefs and savvy business people are all getting with the trend. The newest generation of food trucks are classing it up and getting experimental with menu items like crab fries and Korean tacos.  Baltimore’s food truck scene has grown over the last two years, and The Gathering propels the movement forward by forming a food truck rally that competes on a national scale. Lamb vindaloo? Check. Fish tacos? Check. Creamy soft serve and pretty cupcakes? Check.  This all happens within a small city