Skip to main content

Chocolate Junk Granola Squares

Dear Dairy, 

We have endured a strong yet tragic relationship for many years. Doctors tell me not to devour even a morsel of your charms, but you always find a way back in to my life. Whether you linger on a cracker, curl up snugly to some macaroni, stand tall in a breakfast glass or sprinkle yourself on salads, your charm is undeniable. I swoon your way time and time again.

But you are not good for me. When you are in my daily life I get too many colds, my skin turns pink and rashy, my bones ache, my hair gets dull, my tummy hurts, and my brain fogs over slowly until I eventually forget the names of even the simplest things. Not only does your presence affect me physically, but I am emotionally and mentally damaged by you. This is not a healthy relationship.

If you see me on a crowded street or in a seedy café, please turn the other way. I am not strong enough to say no. Not yet. You will not hear from me again until I have the power to be in your presence without succumbing to your good looks.

Until then, we part as friends and I will do my best to fill the void.

Let’s start with these delightful squares. They are soft, chewy and a cross between a granola bar and a cookie. It is fair to say these are irresistible even sans butter. 

Chocolate Junk Granola Squares (Adapted from SmittenKitchen)
 
Prep Time: 45 minutes
Servings: 30 squares
Nutrition Information per serving: 240 cals, 13 fat, 5 protein, 28 carbs

Ingredients:
2 ½ cups rolled oats (I use Trader Joes Gluten Free Oats)
2/3 cup oat flour (or 2/3 c rolled oats finely ground)
½ cup light brown sugar
1 teaspoon salt
½ teaspoon cinnamon
2 cups dairy free dark chocolate morsels
1 cup chopped pecans
1 cup unsalted peanuts
1 tablespoon flax seeds
1 cup golden raisins
1 cup Craisins
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 cup natural nut butter (peanut, almond, whatever you like)
¾ cup clover honey
¼ cup plain coconut milk
2 tablespoons water

Preheat oven to 350 degrees faranheit. Line two 8″ x 8″ x 2″ pans with parchment paper and create “handles” by cutting the paper longer than the pan. Grease the paper and the pan with non-stick spray.

Toss all of the dry ingredients with chocolate chips, nuts and dried fruit. In a large bowl, stir together vanilla, nut butter, honey, coconut milk and water until it is thoroughly incorporated. Toss the wet ingredients with the dry until combined. Spread the mixture in to the pans, pressing down firmly to create a sturdy bar.

Bake the bars for 30-35 minutes, or until golden brown around the edges. Like cookies, the bars should appear underdone when they come out. Allow them to cool in the pans completely. Lift the bars out of the pan using the parchment paper handles. Refrigerate for 1 hour; slice in to portable squares.

Keep in an airtight container (or even in the fridge for a longer shelf life). 


Comments

  1. This looks so tempting!!never tried making my own granola squares,I will this one for sure.thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Please visit my blog delightsofculinaria.blogspot.com

      Delete
  2. You do have some tasty add ins to these granola bars, so much that they are making me re think the ones I have on file. The chocolate, peanuts, pecans and craisins are what makes me want these over the others-your unique blend is a winner in my book. Thanks for this recipe-yum!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I call them "junk" bars because I literally threw in every dried fruit and nut I had left from the holidays... and boy did they turn out. My husband can't stop eating them!

      Delete
  3. Oh, you poor thing! It sounds like it is so hard to avoid dairy and I can only imagine the qualms I would have with it. Sounds like you've turned around and told dairy who's boss though! These bars look absolutely delightful!

    ReplyDelete
  4. yummy these look so delicious!! I will make these this weekend fo sho!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mmmmm....I'm so glad you found a dairy-free treat that is so fabulous!!! I love all the goodies in these gems :) One of my girlfriends gave up dairy and started probiotics this year...and no sinus infections! She's thrilled~

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I never learn when it comes to dairy. Being told I was allergic to my favorite food is like a death sentence... but I have a feeling my life will soon be better without it. Thanks for the encouragement!

      Delete
  6. These would be a big hit in my house.

    ReplyDelete
  7. These look like my dream bar! I love all the nuts and the nut butter. And - of course - the chocolate.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. These would be even healthier without the chocolate and half the honey, but I couldn't resist :) Besides, once they are all portioned out each serving has as much as one of those packaged energy bars, and it's all natural. Can't beat that!

      Delete
  8. Your "granola-cookie" bars look sinfully delicious... and I dare say no one will be missing the butter!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I certainly didn't miss the butter in this recipe. Something tells me I'll miss it on pizza night. le sigh :)

      Delete
  9. These look Amazing!! I mean wholly cow... they chock full of delicious stuff. My kind of treat for sure! You out did yourself and saved yourself from the dairy too. Well done!! ~ Ramona

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Ramona! These are super good, and the recipe makes 30 bars... enough to feed a hungry man and a busy girl for a week :)

      Delete
  10. These look wonderful and they would quickly disappear from my kitchen. This is a really nice recipe. I hope you have a great day. Blessings...Mary

    ReplyDelete
  11. Dark chocolate morsels, pecans, peanuts, craisins - wow! Your granola squares have all the tastes and textures I love!
    I know it's hard to live without dairy, but I'm sure you'll get used to the available substitutes!

    Btw, I have an award waiting for you... http://bit.ly/yjpNgG

    ReplyDelete
  12. Dairy allergies suck...so sorry to hear about yours. The recipe, however, is fabulous--I would so pick one of these babies up if I saw it at a party!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm not sure I could handle a life without dairy! Milk, no problem! But heavy cream and cheese... these would go a long way in smoothing that over!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh man that sucks. I would have such a hard time giving up cheese. Though let's face it: it's not really good for anyone. I have a feeling you will come up with many delicious alternatives!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The best things in life are usually bad for us. le sigh. But I'm really enjoying feeling better! So I'll take the cards I've been dealt. I dreamed about that baked hummus you made. Seriously.

      Delete
  15. Those look very delish. thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  16. My naughty version demonstrates that I can take a perfectly healthy recipe and turn it bad.... With misfits from my emergency chocolate stash: dark and milk chocolate Easter eggs, Hershey's chocolate kisses, a mesquite flavored dark chocolate bar that I didn't like by itself, some random samples from the NY chocolate show, AND a whole bag of Nestle semi sweet chips. Just because I had them, I used pumpkin seeds, sunflower seeds, almonds, pistachios, dried apricots and cranberries. I used buckwheat honey and added some egg whites....somehow it works, and I am giving them to my physical therapist in the morning to keep from eating too many here at home.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh yum! Texture is between granola bars and cookies? Just reading your description make me drool. These squares have lots of goodies. It's supposedt to be healthy snack, but I might end up with more servings than necessary when I have a piece of this! Love the side shot!

    ReplyDelete
  18. These squares are gorgeous - a little healthy, a whole chocolatey and easy to take wherever you want :D
    Yum!

    Cheers
    Choc Chip Uru
    Latest: Marbled Muffintopcookiecake Hybrid

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for leaving a comment!

Popular posts from this blog

Bacon Guacamole

So, here's the thing. Bacon is so played out in the food world right now. We have bacon chocolate bars, bacon oil, bacon salt, bacon print band-aids, and bacon sundaes at Burger King. There is even a small restaurant in Austin, Texas called Bacon that serves, well, everything bacon (try the the bacon doughnut...just do it). Some truly sad souls people have a difficult time understanding why bacon should play such a leading role off the breakfast table. I say everything should taste like bacon. Bring it! Here is my small contribution to our over-saturated bacon kingdom, Bacon Guacamole .   I actually shed a tear when I tasted this. You can thank me later... Bacon Guacamole Time in kitchen: 10 minutes Servings: 8 (2 T serving) Nutrition information per serving:  100 calories, 9 grams fat, 3 grams fiber, 2 grams protein, 4 carbs Ingredients: 2 ripe avocados  the juice of 1/2 lime (or more to taste) 1 small garlic clove, grated 1 T fresh c

Grilled Asparagus Salad with Fried Quail Eggs

The Baltimore Farmer’s Market was beaming with pride as the stalls opened for the season on Sunday morning, and it has good reason to be prideful. It was recently voted #1 Farmer’s Market in the nation by Country Living.   Since it was 7:00 am after a long night out I was appropriately armed with coffee, sun glasses, and hippy-ass reusable tote bags. Asparagus has been in the forefront of my thoughts since eating a memorably crisp asparagus salad at Woodberry Kitchen . When I saw a pile of garden-fresh spears I couldn’t resist getting a few bundles for the week as well as my fair share of blue kale, foraged mushrooms, spinach, organic quail eggs, ramps, and a multitude of other goodies.   It is going to be a wonderfully food-filled week. Grilled Asparagus Salad with Fried Quail Eggs utilizes many of the seasonal ingredients I scored at the market. It’s only lightly seasoned to give the ingredients the stage. Fresh tarragon is laced throughout and the yolk from the gently fried

The Gathering: Baltimore's Food Truck Rally

Baltimore, with its big city grit and artistic underbelly, was destined to become an integral part of the Food Truck Nation. Over the last few years, gourmet food trucks have been popping up everywhere from LA to Austin, but mobile catering has been around since the beginning of times.   Coupled with the weakened economy and people’s undying need for great street food, we find ourselves at a fortunate cross road. We can eat gourmet food on the street. Lucky us. Talented chefs and savvy business people are all getting with the trend. The newest generation of food trucks are classing it up and getting experimental with menu items like crab fries and Korean tacos.  Baltimore’s food truck scene has grown over the last two years, and The Gathering propels the movement forward by forming a food truck rally that competes on a national scale. Lamb vindaloo? Check. Fish tacos? Check. Creamy soft serve and pretty cupcakes? Check.  This all happens within a small city