Skip to main content

Momma’s Potato Candy

 
There are a few unique foods my family makes every holiday without fail. One of these goodies is momma’s old fashioned potato candy. Do not doubt me when I say it is one of the most surprising and decadent little candies out there. Who in their right mind makes candy out of potatoes? I could take a wild guess here (and possibly do some research), but all I know is we make candy out of potatoes and we like it.

The ingredient list is unpretentious. To make 100 pieces of candy use 1 large potato, 4 pounds of confectioners’ sugar, and a cup of your favorite smooth peanut butter.  I say 4 pounds of sugar because the same thing happens to me every year. The hand scribbled recipe calls for 2 pounds and it is never enough. You want the consistency of play-doh and a little extra sugar to roll out the dough with. Buy extra! You won’t use the entire 4 pounds, but you will come close. 

I added semi-sweet chocolate to melt and drizzle on top which is not in the original recipe (but it should be). I also used my trusty stand mixer to make the dough. If you want a work out, do it like grandma and use your hands!

 Simple. Cheap. Amazing. 

Momma's Potato Candy 



Ingredients:
1 large potato, peeled, diced, boiled
4 pounds confectioners’ sugar (trust me)
1 cup smooth peanut butter
1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips, melted over a double boiler

Directions:
Place the cooled mashed potato in the stand mixer. On slow speed, add the sugar in stages until it has the consistency of play-doh (the amount of sugar will vary depending on humidity and the size of the potato). The dough should be stiff but not dry. 

Sprinkle a handful of confectioners’ sugar on a clean surface and on the rolling pin. Roll out the dough in to a rough rectangle until it is ¼ inch thick. Spread the top of the dough with a very thin, even layer of peanut butter. Roll the dough from one end to the other making one long log of candy. Roll up the candy in wax paper in chill for one hour. When chilled, cut in to ¼ thick pieces. Melt the chocolate in a double boiler and dollop on candy. 

Wrap each piece in wax paper or serve on a platter. 

Cook’s note: You can also add a thin layer of chocolate on top of the peanut butter layer so it is inside the candy. I have done it this way before as well. Either way, it tastes great!



Comments

  1. They look and sound really delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow... what a totally cool treat! A potato turned into dessert, I am amazed. I bet they are delicious with all the peanut butter and sugar. YUM! Thank you for giving me a new recipe to try. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've made potato candy but it was just balls dipped in chocolate. I love the addition of pb...and the pinwheel effect! Beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  4. My Gramma would give us a tin of these each year to take home after the holidays, and it was her most closely guarded secret! That was (waay!) before the Internet when you could search for strange things like this and get recipe results. The secret was only revealed when someone else offered us a similar treat ...and they were more generous with their recipes ;-) Their's used instant potato flakes! I think Gramma believed the kids would not continue to adore them (and feel so special) if we discovered she made several pounds of these in 20 minutes for 40 cents ...they were so magically delicious all packed in a decorative tin with wax paper! Still an awesome gift. Anyway you heard it here first ;-) now go surf "potato candy" - PopZ

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, what a unique treat, I am really curious to try these out. These are really pretty and love the chocolate drizzled on top.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I was wondering when you would bring this candy out, the chocolate drizzle is a nice touch. It has been awhile but I definitely have not forgotten how delicious these slices are. Great post and great memories with this classic candy!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hehehe - in Ireland we made highly alcoholic poitin out of potatoes (at school!) We probably would have been better employed making these unusual candies - then at least we could have sampled the goods. Definitely making room for these on the Xmas candy platter.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Never would have contemplated making candy out of ptoatoes. With that said, it looks awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  9. That might just be the craziest thing I've ever heard! But I'd bet it's delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow I've never seen anything like this before! I'm def intrigued now. Great recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Are these made from potatoes? WOW I'm stunned!! I'm a big potato fan yet I've never seen anything like this. I'm literally dropped my jaw! Thank you for introducing the great potato recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Awesome. So frapping awesome. Whoever came up with this idea is awesome. POTATOES ARE AWESOME!

    Great candy :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. What an interesting candy. Who knew potatoes could make yummy treats!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Potato candy is big around these parts too - I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  15. i am so thrilled by your photos! gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  16. LOVE IT! I adore treasured, vintage recipes! What a great post! Thanks SO much for sharing and I bet they are amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Goodness, potatoes and candies, sure its so tempting by looking at the pics but we sure have loads of potatoes and we simply love it anyway its done.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I can just imagine the texture of the potato and sugar. These sound different and neat! I have a bag of potatoes (which I never have in my house) for Christmas day. Im hoping for an extra now!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I would love to try these! Lol, they look just like my vegan spirals! I'm sure they are delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Your momma was amazing - I love potato chips, I love potatoes actually and I love love love sweet things - I think this is just perfect for me :)

    Choc Chip Uru

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for leaving a comment!

Popular posts from this blog

Bacon Guacamole

So, here's the thing. Bacon is so played out in the food world right now. We have bacon chocolate bars, bacon oil, bacon salt, bacon print band-aids, and bacon sundaes at Burger King. There is even a small restaurant in Austin, Texas called Bacon that serves, well, everything bacon (try the the bacon doughnut...just do it). Some truly sad souls people have a difficult time understanding why bacon should play such a leading role off the breakfast table. I say everything should taste like bacon. Bring it! Here is my small contribution to our over-saturated bacon kingdom, Bacon Guacamole .   I actually shed a tear when I tasted this. You can thank me later... Bacon Guacamole Time in kitchen: 10 minutes Servings: 8 (2 T serving) Nutrition information per serving:  100 calories, 9 grams fat, 3 grams fiber, 2 grams protein, 4 carbs Ingredients: 2 ripe avocados  the juice of 1/2 lime (or more to taste) 1 small garlic clove, grated 1 T fresh c

Grilled Asparagus Salad with Fried Quail Eggs

The Baltimore Farmer’s Market was beaming with pride as the stalls opened for the season on Sunday morning, and it has good reason to be prideful. It was recently voted #1 Farmer’s Market in the nation by Country Living.   Since it was 7:00 am after a long night out I was appropriately armed with coffee, sun glasses, and hippy-ass reusable tote bags. Asparagus has been in the forefront of my thoughts since eating a memorably crisp asparagus salad at Woodberry Kitchen . When I saw a pile of garden-fresh spears I couldn’t resist getting a few bundles for the week as well as my fair share of blue kale, foraged mushrooms, spinach, organic quail eggs, ramps, and a multitude of other goodies.   It is going to be a wonderfully food-filled week. Grilled Asparagus Salad with Fried Quail Eggs utilizes many of the seasonal ingredients I scored at the market. It’s only lightly seasoned to give the ingredients the stage. Fresh tarragon is laced throughout and the yolk from the gently fried

The Gathering: Baltimore's Food Truck Rally

Baltimore, with its big city grit and artistic underbelly, was destined to become an integral part of the Food Truck Nation. Over the last few years, gourmet food trucks have been popping up everywhere from LA to Austin, but mobile catering has been around since the beginning of times.   Coupled with the weakened economy and people’s undying need for great street food, we find ourselves at a fortunate cross road. We can eat gourmet food on the street. Lucky us. Talented chefs and savvy business people are all getting with the trend. The newest generation of food trucks are classing it up and getting experimental with menu items like crab fries and Korean tacos.  Baltimore’s food truck scene has grown over the last two years, and The Gathering propels the movement forward by forming a food truck rally that competes on a national scale. Lamb vindaloo? Check. Fish tacos? Check. Creamy soft serve and pretty cupcakes? Check.  This all happens within a small city