Skip to main content

Spice-Rubbed Pork Tenderloin with Saffron Infused Barley Pilaf


My husband was in the mood to talk. Mind you, this is rare and I must take full advantage of his sudden willingness to make conversation while I cook dinner in the kitchen. Instead of shushing him to concentrate on the task at hand (okay, it happened a few times) I was enjoying his company. We sipped on wine while I rubbed down pork tenderloin and boiled barley, wondering what I was making for the two of us.

As it turns out, being distracted in the kitchen is a recipe for greatness. Or being in love. Either or. The flavors of Spain jumped out of my pocket and I conjured up a dish that was unique yet simple. When he took a bite of the saffron infused barley pilaf, his eyes rolled to the back of his head, he stopped talking, and started shoveling. This is a good sign, right?

I think so. 

Spice-Rubbed Pork Tenderloin

Ingredients
24 oz pork tenderloin, trimmed
1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
1 tablespoon paprika
1 teaspoon dried oregano
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1 teaspoon salt

Directions
Preheat oven to 350°F. In small bowl, mix olive oil with all of the spices. Rub the tenderloin pieces with spice mixture until thoroughly coated. Preheat oven-safe skillet over medium-high heat and pan-sear pieces until golden brown on both sides. Transfer to oven until done (6 to 8 minutes for each inch of thickness).

Saffron Infused Barley Pilaf 
(Use quinoa for a gluten free alternative. Would be just as delicious)

Ingredients
1 cup hulled barley, rinsed
1 pinch saffron threads
1 cup Spanish green olives, chopped
1 cup Spanish peanuts, chopped
3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
1 garlic clove, grated
2 tablespoons fresh oregano, chopped
1 tablespoon fresh cilantro, chopped
1 teaspoon paprika
½ teaspoon salt
The zest and ½ the juice of a lemon

Directions
Cook hulled barley according to package directions (in rapidly boiling salted water for 35-45 minutes). Once the barley is al dente, turn down the heat and add a pinch of saffron threads. Allow the barley to simmer with saffron for 10 minutes. Drain and set aside.

In a large bowl, whisk together olive oil, garlic, oregano, cilantro, paprika, salt, the juice of ½ a lemon and lemon zest. Toss the barley with the dressing, green olives and peanuts.

Comments

  1. Yum this sounds delicious! I have a big box of barley sitting in my pantry that I was looking for ideas for and this sounds like just the thing with the saffron, olives, paprika, etc. I too love it when something I make makes my hubby's eyes roll to the back of this head...makes me feel like such a bad a*s!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awww...how cute that your hubby came to sit with you while you cooked. My husband is either buzzing around (and I'm trying to concentrate) or asking if dinner is ready yet. This looks like a lovely dinner. I was hooked as soon as I saw those olives.:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Silence at the dinner table is not a bad sign, it means that everyone is savoring their food! Ha-now you have a trick to getting peace and quiet when you need it.
    After seeing this dish, I think my comment should have been " ". After all it is a comment of wordless enjoyment! Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I adore this barley recipe. Saffron, green olives, peanuts...sounds perfect!
    LL

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a romantic post and the meal looks absolutely amazing! Very nicely done!

    ReplyDelete
  6. AW! That' so sweet! I don't allow my husband anywhere near the kitchen unless it's to taste test!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Gorgeous recipe! Love all the spices in this.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Saffron and olives are such a great combination! Isn't it fun when inspiration strikes like this and everything comes together?

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a fabulous dinner!!! If I was distracted, I'd have a mess on my hands, but you created a gourmet meal!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh heck yea! My husband likes to watch me cook...I'd rather him get behind the counter and start cooking himself! Maybe I'll forward him this recipe...think he'll get the hint? ;)

    Looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a fabulous recipe! We love pork loin and this sounds and looks wonderful! I had never made homemade piraf at home, but looking at this, I feel like I can make it without failing! Thanks for sharing the recipe!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for leaving a comment!

Popular posts from this blog

Bacon Guacamole

So, here's the thing. Bacon is so played out in the food world right now. We have bacon chocolate bars, bacon oil, bacon salt, bacon print band-aids, and bacon sundaes at Burger King. There is even a small restaurant in Austin, Texas called Bacon that serves, well, everything bacon (try the the bacon doughnut...just do it). Some truly sad souls people have a difficult time understanding why bacon should play such a leading role off the breakfast table. I say everything should taste like bacon. Bring it! Here is my small contribution to our over-saturated bacon kingdom, Bacon Guacamole .   I actually shed a tear when I tasted this. You can thank me later... Bacon Guacamole Time in kitchen: 10 minutes Servings: 8 (2 T serving) Nutrition information per serving:  100 calories, 9 grams fat, 3 grams fiber, 2 grams protein, 4 carbs Ingredients: 2 ripe avocados  the juice of 1/2 lime (or more to taste) 1 small garlic clove, grated 1 T fresh c

Grilled Asparagus Salad with Fried Quail Eggs

The Baltimore Farmer’s Market was beaming with pride as the stalls opened for the season on Sunday morning, and it has good reason to be prideful. It was recently voted #1 Farmer’s Market in the nation by Country Living.   Since it was 7:00 am after a long night out I was appropriately armed with coffee, sun glasses, and hippy-ass reusable tote bags. Asparagus has been in the forefront of my thoughts since eating a memorably crisp asparagus salad at Woodberry Kitchen . When I saw a pile of garden-fresh spears I couldn’t resist getting a few bundles for the week as well as my fair share of blue kale, foraged mushrooms, spinach, organic quail eggs, ramps, and a multitude of other goodies.   It is going to be a wonderfully food-filled week. Grilled Asparagus Salad with Fried Quail Eggs utilizes many of the seasonal ingredients I scored at the market. It’s only lightly seasoned to give the ingredients the stage. Fresh tarragon is laced throughout and the yolk from the gently fried

The Gathering: Baltimore's Food Truck Rally

Baltimore, with its big city grit and artistic underbelly, was destined to become an integral part of the Food Truck Nation. Over the last few years, gourmet food trucks have been popping up everywhere from LA to Austin, but mobile catering has been around since the beginning of times.   Coupled with the weakened economy and people’s undying need for great street food, we find ourselves at a fortunate cross road. We can eat gourmet food on the street. Lucky us. Talented chefs and savvy business people are all getting with the trend. The newest generation of food trucks are classing it up and getting experimental with menu items like crab fries and Korean tacos.  Baltimore’s food truck scene has grown over the last two years, and The Gathering propels the movement forward by forming a food truck rally that competes on a national scale. Lamb vindaloo? Check. Fish tacos? Check. Creamy soft serve and pretty cupcakes? Check.  This all happens within a small city