Skip to main content

Moroccan Spiced Turkey with Parsnip, Cherry, and Walnut Israeli Couscous


Food is the rhythm of a nation. 

Last night, I took a trip to Morocco through the thumping pulse of its cuisine. Thump thump...boom...pow!

A nation’s fare often reflects its delicate and tumultuous past. Given its location on the North African coast, Morocco has been molded by the Berber, Spanish, Portuguese, Arab and Mediterranean cultures. Exotic spices have been imported for thousands of years and the land proved worthy of harvesting saffron, mint, olives, oranges and lemons. The rich heritage of Morocco is reflected in every indigenous spice, nut, bean, fruit and grub-worthy carbohydrate. It only makes sense that its cuisine is lusciously spiced and bursting with culture.

Maybe one day I will actually travel to Morocco and experience it firsthand. Until then, I am dancing to the Moroccan beat in my kitchen. The dancing is frightening...the food is delish!

Moroccan Spiced Turkey Breast Cutlets 
Ingredients:
1 lb. turkey breast cutlets
2 tbs. olive oil
1 tsp. ground cinnamon
1 tsp. ground coriander
½ tsp ground turmeric
¼ tsp. ground cardamom
¼ tsp. ground cumin
Salt and pepper (to taste)

Parsnip, Cherry, and Walnut Israeli Couscous
Ingredients:
2 tbs. butter
2 large parsnips, peeled and diced
Freshly ground pepper
1 teaspoon sea salt
½ tsp. ground cinnamon
½ tsp. ground coriander
¼ tsp turmeric
½ tsp. ground cumin
2 cups Israeli (pearl) couscous
2 ¼ cups chicken stock
½ cup dried cherries
½ cup roasted walnuts
4 scallions, thinly sliced
Zest of one lemon

In a medium bowl, mix olive oil and spices together until blended. Marinade the turkey cutlets in the mixture while you prepare the couscous.

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. On a small baking sheet, spread walnuts in an even layer and roast until fragrant, about 5-8 minutes. Set aside.

In a large saucepan with a lid, melt the butter on medium heat. Add the parsnips, spices, salt and pepper and cook until tender, stirring occasionally, about 8 minutes. Turn the heat up to medium high. Add the Israeli couscous, stirring gently and constantly to evenly toast the pearls, about 3 minutes. Cover mixture in chicken stock and bring to a simmer. Once the mixture is at a simmer, add dried cherries, reduce the heat to low and cover until couscous has absorbed all of the liquid, about 7 minutes. Uncover and stir in the toasted walnuts, scallions and lemon zest.
In a grill pan on medium high heat, grill the turkey breast cutlets. The cutlets are thin so they cook quickly, about 2 minutes per side.   





Comments

  1. I love the accompaniment here! Israeli couscous is wonderful. And the Moroccan flavors...yum! We are actually going to Marrakesh next weekend - can't wait to eat there!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That couscous is calling my name!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a wonderful dish with fantastic exotic flavors!! I love Moroccan food and this dish is done perfectly. Lovely pictures too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I adore Israeli couscous...and the combination of both your recipes looks outstanding. Wish that last photo could make its way to my dinner table :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I heart Moroccan food, though it seems I get stuck in a tagine (lamb or chicken) rut - if there is such a thing. This is a great way to mix it up, love all of the flavors here!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am digging all the spiced in this! And parsnips - I never think to use them. Bet this would be awesome with cranberries and pistachios too... mmmm...

    ReplyDelete
  7. This recipe is the reason why I have so many spices. Couscous is something I could eat every day just plain.. I guess that means that your Israeli couscous is something I would gladly eat twice a day.
    Also I like all the flavor you put on the turkey. Love this dinner escape to morocco!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I did a Moroccan-spiced main dish earlier this week--between your dish and mine, it would be a perfect meal!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This dish looks fabulous! I love Israeli couscous. Def need to try!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love Israeli cous cous....one of my favorites! What a delightful meal!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Rockin recipe! This is amazing and I love it.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love this couscous, like a bowl of pearls. Gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Delightful! I love Moroccan spices! The couscous sounds wonderful. I have never used parsnips and cherries together but it sounds so great with the couscous-- I am going to try this! BTW, my friends just honey-mooned in Morocco- the pictures look incredible! I want to go!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for leaving a comment!

Popular posts from this blog

Bacon Guacamole

So, here's the thing. Bacon is so played out in the food world right now. We have bacon chocolate bars, bacon oil, bacon salt, bacon print band-aids, and bacon sundaes at Burger King. There is even a small restaurant in Austin, Texas called Bacon that serves, well, everything bacon (try the the bacon doughnut...just do it). Some truly sad souls people have a difficult time understanding why bacon should play such a leading role off the breakfast table. I say everything should taste like bacon. Bring it! Here is my small contribution to our over-saturated bacon kingdom, Bacon Guacamole .   I actually shed a tear when I tasted this. You can thank me later... Bacon Guacamole Time in kitchen: 10 minutes Servings: 8 (2 T serving) Nutrition information per serving:  100 calories, 9 grams fat, 3 grams fiber, 2 grams protein, 4 carbs Ingredients: 2 ripe avocados  the juice of 1/2 lime (or more to taste) 1 small garlic clove, grated 1 T fresh c

Grilled Asparagus Salad with Fried Quail Eggs

The Baltimore Farmer’s Market was beaming with pride as the stalls opened for the season on Sunday morning, and it has good reason to be prideful. It was recently voted #1 Farmer’s Market in the nation by Country Living.   Since it was 7:00 am after a long night out I was appropriately armed with coffee, sun glasses, and hippy-ass reusable tote bags. Asparagus has been in the forefront of my thoughts since eating a memorably crisp asparagus salad at Woodberry Kitchen . When I saw a pile of garden-fresh spears I couldn’t resist getting a few bundles for the week as well as my fair share of blue kale, foraged mushrooms, spinach, organic quail eggs, ramps, and a multitude of other goodies.   It is going to be a wonderfully food-filled week. Grilled Asparagus Salad with Fried Quail Eggs utilizes many of the seasonal ingredients I scored at the market. It’s only lightly seasoned to give the ingredients the stage. Fresh tarragon is laced throughout and the yolk from the gently fried

The Gathering: Baltimore's Food Truck Rally

Baltimore, with its big city grit and artistic underbelly, was destined to become an integral part of the Food Truck Nation. Over the last few years, gourmet food trucks have been popping up everywhere from LA to Austin, but mobile catering has been around since the beginning of times.   Coupled with the weakened economy and people’s undying need for great street food, we find ourselves at a fortunate cross road. We can eat gourmet food on the street. Lucky us. Talented chefs and savvy business people are all getting with the trend. The newest generation of food trucks are classing it up and getting experimental with menu items like crab fries and Korean tacos.  Baltimore’s food truck scene has grown over the last two years, and The Gathering propels the movement forward by forming a food truck rally that competes on a national scale. Lamb vindaloo? Check. Fish tacos? Check. Creamy soft serve and pretty cupcakes? Check.  This all happens within a small city