Skip to main content

Discovering Persimmons

After a long day of work and school I went on a quest for an edible muse. There was plenty of food in the house, but I wanted to use an ingredient that was not typical of me.The store was not making it easy, and the journey began with the usual culprits. Zucchini, lemons, red onions and arugula all found their way in to the basket. 

Nothing was screaming “Hey Grub, over here! I’m different! Try me!” 

Then, hidden near the seasonal goods I stumbled upon a weird little fruit that looked like the red headed step child of a tomato and an apricot. What is this alien produce I have surely seen before but never cooked with?

A persimmon! They were so cute four of them came home with me. 


Persimmons were the catalyst to this shaved creation. The salad was paired with cornish hens; however, the hens didn’t make it. They tasted great but looked more like torture victims than edible art. Please keep them in your thoughts while you eat this salad. The battle of the Cornish hens will soon be won. 


Shaved Persimmon Salad
(Cut out the cheese for a dairy and gluten free dish)


Ingredients:
2 yellow squash, shaved lengthwise
2 zucchini, shaved lengthwise
4 persimmons, thinly sliced
1 small red onion, thinly sliced
4 cups arugula
¼ cup Parmesan, shredded or shaved (just as great without the cheese)
¼ cup sliced almonds

For the dressing:
2 tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
1 tbsp. Dijon mustard
1 tbsp. honey
The juice and zest of one lemon
Heavy pinch of sea salt
Heavy pinch of red pepper flakes
Freshly ground black pepper
½ tsp. dried thyme
½ tsp. dried parsley
1 tsp. dried rosemary

Directions:
Whisk together the dressing ingredients in a large mixing bowl until blended. Set the dressing aside.

Wash and trim the ends of the zucchini and squash. Using a vegetable peeler (or mandolin) shave them lengthwise. Wash the persimmons, slice off the ends then cut in half lengthwise. Thinly slice the persimmons so they are roughly the same size and width as the zucchini and squash. Thinly slice the red onions in half moons.  Toss all of the vegetables with the dressing and allow the mixture to sit for a few minutes. The vegetables will quickly soak up the dressing and take on the flavors.

Lay a bed of arugula on the bottom of the plate and top with shaved vegetables. Sprinkle with parmesan cheese and toasted sliced almonds.

Comments

  1. Funny I have a couple of persimmons just waiting for my evil plans! It's so fun to find an inspiring ingredient, isn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha-aside from the hens, this does look like some tasty edible art! Besides, this salad is so well rounded it doesn't need any hens. It is fun to challenge yourself with something new from the grocer. Congratulations for a successful food challenge, you can now go on to round 2!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Once again, your post is oddly timely--I just received two persimmons in my CSA box. This looks fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gosh, your post reminds me that I have so many fruits I have yet to try. Persimmons being one of them. I just tried fresh figs for the first time this summer. Where have I been? This salad looks very fresh, light and inviting. I loved that you shaved the squash...very appealing. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. YUMMY! This is a stunning post - but I've never had a persimmon before. What do they taste like?

    Cornish Hens are next - woohoo!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Heh! Poor little chickens :) I'm sure they tasted fabulous with this bad ass salad though. Looking good!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've never use persimmons before... adding them to my grocery list for the afternoons. You've inspired me. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Very interesting salad. I love to try that for sure-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. This really is a lovely salad. The color is magnificent and will brighten this dark PNW day. I am new to your blog, so I've taken some extra time to browse through your earlier posts. I'm so glad I did that. I really like the food and recipes you share with your readers and I'll definitely be back. I hope you have a great day. Blessings...Mary

    ReplyDelete
  10. I still have yet to try persimmons! I think I need to soon!

    ReplyDelete
  11. A friend has a persimmon tree in the back yard of her new house...maybe I'll get some of her crop next year! Though local, I've never tasted one...and I have friends who rave about persimmon pudding. Your salad looks marvelous...I'll definitely check my market for this fruit :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for leaving a comment!

Popular posts from this blog

Bacon Guacamole

So, here's the thing. Bacon is so played out in the food world right now. We have bacon chocolate bars, bacon oil, bacon salt, bacon print band-aids, and bacon sundaes at Burger King. There is even a small restaurant in Austin, Texas called Bacon that serves, well, everything bacon (try the the bacon doughnut...just do it). Some truly sad souls people have a difficult time understanding why bacon should play such a leading role off the breakfast table. I say everything should taste like bacon. Bring it! Here is my small contribution to our over-saturated bacon kingdom, Bacon Guacamole .   I actually shed a tear when I tasted this. You can thank me later... Bacon Guacamole Time in kitchen: 10 minutes Servings: 8 (2 T serving) Nutrition information per serving:  100 calories, 9 grams fat, 3 grams fiber, 2 grams protein, 4 carbs Ingredients: 2 ripe avocados  the juice of 1/2 lime (or more to taste) 1 small garlic clove, grated 1 T fresh c

Grilled Asparagus Salad with Fried Quail Eggs

The Baltimore Farmer’s Market was beaming with pride as the stalls opened for the season on Sunday morning, and it has good reason to be prideful. It was recently voted #1 Farmer’s Market in the nation by Country Living.   Since it was 7:00 am after a long night out I was appropriately armed with coffee, sun glasses, and hippy-ass reusable tote bags. Asparagus has been in the forefront of my thoughts since eating a memorably crisp asparagus salad at Woodberry Kitchen . When I saw a pile of garden-fresh spears I couldn’t resist getting a few bundles for the week as well as my fair share of blue kale, foraged mushrooms, spinach, organic quail eggs, ramps, and a multitude of other goodies.   It is going to be a wonderfully food-filled week. Grilled Asparagus Salad with Fried Quail Eggs utilizes many of the seasonal ingredients I scored at the market. It’s only lightly seasoned to give the ingredients the stage. Fresh tarragon is laced throughout and the yolk from the gently fried

The Gathering: Baltimore's Food Truck Rally

Baltimore, with its big city grit and artistic underbelly, was destined to become an integral part of the Food Truck Nation. Over the last few years, gourmet food trucks have been popping up everywhere from LA to Austin, but mobile catering has been around since the beginning of times.   Coupled with the weakened economy and people’s undying need for great street food, we find ourselves at a fortunate cross road. We can eat gourmet food on the street. Lucky us. Talented chefs and savvy business people are all getting with the trend. The newest generation of food trucks are classing it up and getting experimental with menu items like crab fries and Korean tacos.  Baltimore’s food truck scene has grown over the last two years, and The Gathering propels the movement forward by forming a food truck rally that competes on a national scale. Lamb vindaloo? Check. Fish tacos? Check. Creamy soft serve and pretty cupcakes? Check.  This all happens within a small city