Skip to main content

Butternut Squash Soup with Bacon and White Beans



I could not sleep last night. Let me rephrase that. I fell asleep at 8:00 pm last night… So, I woke up at 3:00 am wide eyed and bushy tailed. Just before waking I dreamt up this lovely brew and promptly began its creation hours before the sun came up. Obsessed, anyone? 

Oh, the thought of it: sizzling bacon, sweet butternut squash and soft white beans simmering together in perfect harmony. It is almost naughty, like Three’s Company without the annoying neighbor to spoil the revelry. Blending half of the soup creates a creamy contrast that you can’t deny. Come in, take off your coat and join the party. 

Butternut Squash Soup with Bacon and White Beans


Ingredients:
  • 3 thick bacon slices, chopped
  • 1 large butternut squash, peeled and cubed
  • 1 large white onion, chopped
  • 4 garlic cloves, minced
  • 2 cans of cannellini beans, rinsed
  • 1 can of diced tomatoes
  • 4 cups organic, low-sodium chicken broth
  • 1 sprig of thyme, chopped
  • 3 sage leaves, chopped
  • 1 tsp. fresh rosemary, chopped
  • pinch of red pepper flakes
  • salt and pepper to taste
  • 2 tsp. sugar in the raw
Directions: 
  1. In a large heavy pot, sauté bacon on medium heat until it is crisp. Transfer to paper towels to drain and leave the drippings in the pan. 
  2. Add chopped onion and sauté until golden, about 5-10 minutes. Stir in the butternut squash and garlic and cook until gently browned. Add chicken broth; bring to boil. Stir in rinsed beans, diced tomatoes, sugar, fresh herbs and spices. Salt and pepper to taste. 
  3. When the vegetables are soft, ladle 1/3 of the soup in to a blender and pulsate until smooth. Return the puree to the pot. Cover and simmer until the flavors blend, about 15 minutes. 
  4. Check the seasonings and adjust if necessary. Ladle soup into bowls. Garnish with chopped bacon and serve.


Comments

  1. This soup sounds fantastic.... I love everything in it especially bacon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What gorgeous bowls of delciousness! Fabulous soup :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh yum! Little secret... I once had a bit part on "Too Close for Comfort" but always wished it was "Threes Company" I AM going to make this soup!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This sounds great! Beautiful photos, too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. i like your pictures and would like to invite you to share some of them on tastingspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. LOL! I love this post! The photos are terrific, the recipe is divine and you and I are alike! I can't tell you how many times I've decided to cook something and started right then! (Now following you via Google Follower)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nice savory fresh ingredients in this one! The flavors selected really do compliment each other. I would definitely enjoy this hearty soup-well done.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love everything about this soup. Great presentation. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Once I get something in my mind I have to do it right away - doesn't really matter what time it is. This soup looks wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I often lie awake thinking about food all the time. My kids say it's a sickness! Right up until I give them some cookie I dreamed up while I was lying in bed tossing and turning...

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ha! I like your brain :) And I love that you managed to work Threes Company into this post! Awesome soup!

    ReplyDelete
  12. That looks so tasty! I love rosemary with butternut. I also love bacon with... well, anything. :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Sounds yummy. Your photos are beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Butternut squash and bacon is a match made in heaven, soooo good. And so fall!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for leaving a comment!

Popular posts from this blog

Bacon Guacamole

So, here's the thing. Bacon is so played out in the food world right now. We have bacon chocolate bars, bacon oil, bacon salt, bacon print band-aids, and bacon sundaes at Burger King. There is even a small restaurant in Austin, Texas called Bacon that serves, well, everything bacon (try the the bacon doughnut...just do it). Some truly sad souls people have a difficult time understanding why bacon should play such a leading role off the breakfast table. I say everything should taste like bacon. Bring it! Here is my small contribution to our over-saturated bacon kingdom, Bacon Guacamole .   I actually shed a tear when I tasted this. You can thank me later... Bacon Guacamole Time in kitchen: 10 minutes Servings: 8 (2 T serving) Nutrition information per serving:  100 calories, 9 grams fat, 3 grams fiber, 2 grams protein, 4 carbs Ingredients: 2 ripe avocados  the juice of 1/2 lime (or more to taste) 1 small garlic clove, grated 1 T fresh c

Grilled Asparagus Salad with Fried Quail Eggs

The Baltimore Farmer’s Market was beaming with pride as the stalls opened for the season on Sunday morning, and it has good reason to be prideful. It was recently voted #1 Farmer’s Market in the nation by Country Living.   Since it was 7:00 am after a long night out I was appropriately armed with coffee, sun glasses, and hippy-ass reusable tote bags. Asparagus has been in the forefront of my thoughts since eating a memorably crisp asparagus salad at Woodberry Kitchen . When I saw a pile of garden-fresh spears I couldn’t resist getting a few bundles for the week as well as my fair share of blue kale, foraged mushrooms, spinach, organic quail eggs, ramps, and a multitude of other goodies.   It is going to be a wonderfully food-filled week. Grilled Asparagus Salad with Fried Quail Eggs utilizes many of the seasonal ingredients I scored at the market. It’s only lightly seasoned to give the ingredients the stage. Fresh tarragon is laced throughout and the yolk from the gently fried

The Gathering: Baltimore's Food Truck Rally

Baltimore, with its big city grit and artistic underbelly, was destined to become an integral part of the Food Truck Nation. Over the last few years, gourmet food trucks have been popping up everywhere from LA to Austin, but mobile catering has been around since the beginning of times.   Coupled with the weakened economy and people’s undying need for great street food, we find ourselves at a fortunate cross road. We can eat gourmet food on the street. Lucky us. Talented chefs and savvy business people are all getting with the trend. The newest generation of food trucks are classing it up and getting experimental with menu items like crab fries and Korean tacos.  Baltimore’s food truck scene has grown over the last two years, and The Gathering propels the movement forward by forming a food truck rally that competes on a national scale. Lamb vindaloo? Check. Fish tacos? Check. Creamy soft serve and pretty cupcakes? Check.  This all happens within a small city