Skip to main content

Pumpkin Apple Muffins

Nothing is more comforting than a soft, hot cakey muffin jam-packed with apples and spices. After being knocked on my tuckus from the flu this week, I was in dire need of some coziness from the kitchen. I will go to my death bed (and I came close this week) proclaiming that I am not a baker. My man is gifted with the baking gene, and when the holidays come he whips out his natural skills and bakes away. The one year we baked together my pumpkin pies turned out like hockey pucks. You might ask who can screw up the easiest pie in the world. That would be me. 

I do the cooking.

After establishing this fact I was still glaring at a conundrum: a huge pile of fresh apples looking right back at me. Something must be done. How dare they stare at me with those cute little cheeks! 

My husband ran down the stairs to a kitchen filled with flour, sugar, spices, pumpkin and diced apples and exclaimed “Awww! You are baking!”  

I grimaced, sniffled and said “I don’t know how to bake.” 

Lovingly, he emitted “Oh, yes you do.” These little words gave me the motivation to finish the task at hand.
I’m proud to say there is hope for me in the baking department. It must be the Nyquil…

Pumpkin Apple Muffins Ingredients

Ingredients: 
  • 1 cup whole wheat flour
  • 1 ½ cups all purpose flour
  • 1 ¼ tsp. baking powder
  • ¼ tsp. allspice
  • ¼ tsp. ginger
  • ¼ tsp. nutmeg
  • 1 ½ tsp. cinnamon
  • 1 cup sugar
  • ¼ cup vegetable oil
  • ½ tsp. vanilla
  • ¼ cup light amber maple syrup
  • 2 eggs
  • 1 ½ cups peeled, cored, diced apples
  • 1 can of organic pumpkin
Directions:
  1. Preheat oven to 350°F. 
  2. Liberally grease muffin pan or line with muffin papers. 
  3. Sift flour, baking powder, and spices in a medium bowl until combined (you can sift to get out any lumps). Stir sugar, pumpkin, maple syrup, vanilla, oil and eggs in a large bowl until well mixed. 
  4. Toss the apples with the dry ingredients to coat. 
  5. Combine wet ingredients with dry ingredients being sure to not over mix. 
  6. Fill each muffin cup to the top (these muffins are dense and only puff up slightly).  
  7. Sprinkle sugar liberally over the muffins to help create a crackle on top of the finished cakes. Bake until they are golden brown and a tester inserted into center comes out clean, about 30 minutes (more time for larger muffins). Allow muffins to cool before serving (righhhht). 

Comments

  1. These look delicious! I love that you added whole wheat flour! I hope you feel back to your wonderful self soon - and you ARE a baker!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a wonderful recipe. I understand about not being the most comfortable baker. I certainly am not. But with this blog and my foodie baker friends I am making strides. I still love to use box cake mixes but I would feel bad about it. Then I saw Paula Deen use a box mix on Rachael Ray and I said..well if Paula can do it, so can I! Keep baking and I'm glad you feel better.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congrats on your effort here, these turned out amazing. The best thing I like about them is the big chunks of apple in there. Wish I had a few for breakfast. Yum! Sometimes we are the worst critics of ourselves-so ignore that critic and keep on baking.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This looks wonderful. Hope you feel better soon. And you are a great baker.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I LOVE the idea of combining my two favorite fall ingredients...pumpkin and apple! Fabulous looking muffins~

    ReplyDelete
  6. These sound so good! I haven't made muffins in ages - I will have to try these!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What yummy muffins! Glad you are feeling better!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hope you're feeling better!!! These muffins look awesome and perfect for this fall weather. Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Glad you are feeling better! I think it's going around. :(

    Love the maple syrup in these and I bet that pumpkin makes them ridiculously moist. Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  10. They look wonderful, seems like you are indeed a baker!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hmmm...Nyquil increases your ability to bake. I must investigate this because I'm a DISASTER when it comes to baking. These look amazing! Hope you're feeling all better now! Buzzed :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I feel the same as you...baking, I'm not so good at (except cookies but I'm not sure they really count). The muffins look lovely (pun intended).

    ReplyDelete
  13. Now that I'm a full week late, I hope that you're feeling back to your old self again. The muffins look delicious - especially the big chunks in the middle...

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for leaving a comment!

Popular posts from this blog

Bacon Guacamole

So, here's the thing. Bacon is so played out in the food world right now. We have bacon chocolate bars, bacon oil, bacon salt, bacon print band-aids, and bacon sundaes at Burger King. There is even a small restaurant in Austin, Texas called Bacon that serves, well, everything bacon (try the the bacon doughnut...just do it). Some truly sad souls people have a difficult time understanding why bacon should play such a leading role off the breakfast table. I say everything should taste like bacon. Bring it! Here is my small contribution to our over-saturated bacon kingdom, Bacon Guacamole .   I actually shed a tear when I tasted this. You can thank me later... Bacon Guacamole Time in kitchen: 10 minutes Servings: 8 (2 T serving) Nutrition information per serving:  100 calories, 9 grams fat, 3 grams fiber, 2 grams protein, 4 carbs Ingredients: 2 ripe avocados  the juice of 1/2 lime (or more to taste) 1 small garlic clove, grated 1 T fresh c

Grilled Asparagus Salad with Fried Quail Eggs

The Baltimore Farmer’s Market was beaming with pride as the stalls opened for the season on Sunday morning, and it has good reason to be prideful. It was recently voted #1 Farmer’s Market in the nation by Country Living.   Since it was 7:00 am after a long night out I was appropriately armed with coffee, sun glasses, and hippy-ass reusable tote bags. Asparagus has been in the forefront of my thoughts since eating a memorably crisp asparagus salad at Woodberry Kitchen . When I saw a pile of garden-fresh spears I couldn’t resist getting a few bundles for the week as well as my fair share of blue kale, foraged mushrooms, spinach, organic quail eggs, ramps, and a multitude of other goodies.   It is going to be a wonderfully food-filled week. Grilled Asparagus Salad with Fried Quail Eggs utilizes many of the seasonal ingredients I scored at the market. It’s only lightly seasoned to give the ingredients the stage. Fresh tarragon is laced throughout and the yolk from the gently fried

The Gathering: Baltimore's Food Truck Rally

Baltimore, with its big city grit and artistic underbelly, was destined to become an integral part of the Food Truck Nation. Over the last few years, gourmet food trucks have been popping up everywhere from LA to Austin, but mobile catering has been around since the beginning of times.   Coupled with the weakened economy and people’s undying need for great street food, we find ourselves at a fortunate cross road. We can eat gourmet food on the street. Lucky us. Talented chefs and savvy business people are all getting with the trend. The newest generation of food trucks are classing it up and getting experimental with menu items like crab fries and Korean tacos.  Baltimore’s food truck scene has grown over the last two years, and The Gathering propels the movement forward by forming a food truck rally that competes on a national scale. Lamb vindaloo? Check. Fish tacos? Check. Creamy soft serve and pretty cupcakes? Check.  This all happens within a small city