Skip to main content

Jack-O-Lantern Chili

Let the season of soup commence!

Crisp rain is falling on Baltimore this morning and the instinct to hibernate is fully engaged. Should I strap on my running shoes and dart through the falling leaves and knife-like rain drops? Or should I stay in my cave, simmer up some Halloween spirit, and prepare a cauldron of Jack-O-Lantern Chili? 

This chili always has my vote. It embodies the perfect blend of sweet, spice and smoke, and holds magical healing powers that keep you warm and cozy no matter how callous the weather is.  

Jack-O-Lantern Chili

Ingredients:
3 slices thick cut bacon, diced
2 sweet onions, diced
5 garlic cloves, grated
1 lb. extra lean ground chicken
1 butternut squash, seeded and diced
3 tbsp. chili powder
1 tbsp. coriander
2 tsp. dried oregano
3 chipotle chilies in adobo, minced
3 cans fire-roasted tomatoes
2 cans black beans, rinsed well
1 bag of baby spinach
Kosher salt (to taste)
Red pepper flakes (to taste)
2 tbsp. brown sugar (to taste)

Directions:
In a large heavy pot, render bacon on medium heat until crispy. Add onions and cook until soft, about 8 minutes. Add garlic; stir one minute. Add ground chicken and break apart with a wooden spoon. Once chicken is browned, sprinkle in chili powder and coriander. Stir in tomatoes with juice, butternut squash, salt, pepper flakes, chipotles, and oregano. Cover and cook for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally. Once the squash is tender, stir in rinsed black beans, brown sugar and spinach. Cook until the spinach is wilted and the beans are warmed through. Adjust seasonings to taste. Divide chili among bowls and top with fresh cilantro. 
Cook’s note: I find this is the perfect consistency just using the juice from the tomatoes; however, feel free to add a little chicken stock to loosen it up. Serve with brown rice for a hearty, healthy meal. 


Comments

  1. Mmmmm...more pumpkin and bacon :) What a fabulous chili recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great idea to add pumpkin to your chili!! How healthy!! Yum!! I'm planning on making chili tonight too... but I don't have any pumpkin today. Next time for sure!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Haha! Lizzy, you are so right. It would be great without the bacon; HOWEVER, I can't resist. The smokey bacon in the background adds that extra layer of ooomph. You can take my house. You can take my car. But don't you dare touch my bacon.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks so much for commenting on my NY trip on my blog...this is my first visit to your blog. I LOVE IT! This chili looks fantastic, BTW!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is AWESOME! I love the title....it's perfect for Halloween! the recipe looks mouth watering ....and your photos are delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This chili looks so good and I agree with Ann fantastic name.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That's a great photo--love the idea of adding the pumpkin to chili!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This looks like a wonderfully hearty bowl of chili. This looks so comforting and has a great list of ingredients. Well done-yum!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love the addition of butternut squash! This really looks wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow this looks amazing! I love all the flavors too!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Bacon and chipotles... mmmm... I can smell that deliciousness from here!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Running or cooking? I think that's a pretty unfair match up :) Brilliant chili!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I agree - I am in full-on soup mode right now. This looks awesome.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for leaving a comment!

Popular posts from this blog

Bacon Guacamole

So, here's the thing. Bacon is so played out in the food world right now. We have bacon chocolate bars, bacon oil, bacon salt, bacon print band-aids, and bacon sundaes at Burger King. There is even a small restaurant in Austin, Texas called Bacon that serves, well, everything bacon (try the the bacon doughnut...just do it). Some truly sad souls people have a difficult time understanding why bacon should play such a leading role off the breakfast table. I say everything should taste like bacon. Bring it! Here is my small contribution to our over-saturated bacon kingdom, Bacon Guacamole .   I actually shed a tear when I tasted this. You can thank me later... Bacon Guacamole Time in kitchen: 10 minutes Servings: 8 (2 T serving) Nutrition information per serving:  100 calories, 9 grams fat, 3 grams fiber, 2 grams protein, 4 carbs Ingredients: 2 ripe avocados  the juice of 1/2 lime (or more to taste) 1 small garlic clove, grated 1 T fresh c

Grilled Asparagus Salad with Fried Quail Eggs

The Baltimore Farmer’s Market was beaming with pride as the stalls opened for the season on Sunday morning, and it has good reason to be prideful. It was recently voted #1 Farmer’s Market in the nation by Country Living.   Since it was 7:00 am after a long night out I was appropriately armed with coffee, sun glasses, and hippy-ass reusable tote bags. Asparagus has been in the forefront of my thoughts since eating a memorably crisp asparagus salad at Woodberry Kitchen . When I saw a pile of garden-fresh spears I couldn’t resist getting a few bundles for the week as well as my fair share of blue kale, foraged mushrooms, spinach, organic quail eggs, ramps, and a multitude of other goodies.   It is going to be a wonderfully food-filled week. Grilled Asparagus Salad with Fried Quail Eggs utilizes many of the seasonal ingredients I scored at the market. It’s only lightly seasoned to give the ingredients the stage. Fresh tarragon is laced throughout and the yolk from the gently fried

The Gathering: Baltimore's Food Truck Rally

Baltimore, with its big city grit and artistic underbelly, was destined to become an integral part of the Food Truck Nation. Over the last few years, gourmet food trucks have been popping up everywhere from LA to Austin, but mobile catering has been around since the beginning of times.   Coupled with the weakened economy and people’s undying need for great street food, we find ourselves at a fortunate cross road. We can eat gourmet food on the street. Lucky us. Talented chefs and savvy business people are all getting with the trend. The newest generation of food trucks are classing it up and getting experimental with menu items like crab fries and Korean tacos.  Baltimore’s food truck scene has grown over the last two years, and The Gathering propels the movement forward by forming a food truck rally that competes on a national scale. Lamb vindaloo? Check. Fish tacos? Check. Creamy soft serve and pretty cupcakes? Check.  This all happens within a small city