Skip to main content

Hoppin' John, and a Happy New Year!




New Year’s resolutions are for the birds. At least that is what the media wants us to believe as they spout out how most of us make hefty resolutions only to fail time and time again. Personally, I love making over-the-top resolutions. I make quite a long list of things I want to change about myself and do for others. I find a category everything falls under, and then I narrow it down to one word. I use that word to give meaning to my entire year. When I’m feeling frustrated, or tired, or simply not amused, I remember my word and everything I have done to make it happen. We can all stay in touch with one word, right?

My word this year: Family

Speaking of family and traditions, New Year’s Day has rules, ya’ll! Real simple rules to follow in order to gather up luck for the year ahead. One of those rules is to make a big ole pot of porky black eyed peas, rice, corn bread and greens to bring on the prosperity. The recipe below is tried and true. I learned it at my parent’s side since they cooked it every year since I can remember.

Happy New Years, to my friends and family! May your year be filled with delicious food and lots of love.

Hoppin’ John
(Recipe adapted from Emeril and many years at my parents side)
Time in Kitchen: 1.5 hours
Prep time: 15 minutes
Servings: 10

Ingredients
  • 1 tablespoon olive oil (or bacon drippings)
  • 1 ham hock (or smoked turkey leg for a healthier alternative)
  • 1 vidalia onion, chopped
  • 2 celery stalks, chopped
  • 1 large green pepper, chopped
  • 2 carrots, chopped (not traditional, but I like to sneak in veggies)
  • 2 cloves garlic, chopped
  • 1 to 2 teaspoons kosher salt, to taste
  • 1 pound frozen black eyed peas
  • 4 cups low sodium chicken stock
  • 2 bay leaves
  • 1 teaspoon dried thyme
  • 2 tablespoons Cajun seasoning
  • 1 can organic low sodium diced tomatoes
  • 6 green onions, diced
  • Tabasco Sauce, for serving
  • 4 cups cooked long grain white rice, for serving
 
Directions:
  1. In a large Dutch oven, heat oil until it ripples. Add the ham hock (or smoked turkey leg) and sear on all sides. Add the onion, celery, green pepper, carrots, and garlic, salt and pepper to taste; cook until translucent; about 5-7 minutes. 
  2. Add the frozen black-eyed peas, stock, bay leaves, thyme, Cajun seasoning, and diced tomatoes. Bring to a boil then reduce heat to simmer and cook for 40-60 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the peas are creamy and tender. 
  3. Remove ham hock (or smoked turkey leg), pull off meat. Discard bone and place meat back in the pot. 
  4. Remove bay leaves. 
  5. Serve Hoppin' John over rice sprinkled with green onions and a dash of hot sauce. Serve with a side of corn bread and greens for a traditional New Year's feast.


Comments

  1. Deeeeeeelicious - and a good healthy start to 2014. Love the addition of the smoked turkey leg as an alternative. Wishing you a very Happy New Year, Kimmi.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love hoppin john... this looks like a bowl of deliciousness to me!! Happy New Year 2014!! Wishing you much happiness. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy New Year! I love your word and your recipe. Looks like the perfect start. :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for leaving a comment!

Popular posts from this blog

Bacon Guacamole

So, here's the thing. Bacon is so played out in the food world right now. We have bacon chocolate bars, bacon oil, bacon salt, bacon print band-aids, and bacon sundaes at Burger King. There is even a small restaurant in Austin, Texas called Bacon that serves, well, everything bacon (try the the bacon doughnut...just do it). Some truly sad souls people have a difficult time understanding why bacon should play such a leading role off the breakfast table. I say everything should taste like bacon. Bring it! Here is my small contribution to our over-saturated bacon kingdom, Bacon Guacamole .   I actually shed a tear when I tasted this. You can thank me later... Bacon Guacamole Time in kitchen: 10 minutes Servings: 8 (2 T serving) Nutrition information per serving:  100 calories, 9 grams fat, 3 grams fiber, 2 grams protein, 4 carbs Ingredients: 2 ripe avocados  the juice of 1/2 lime (or more to taste) 1 small garlic clove, grated 1 T fresh c

Grilled Asparagus Salad with Fried Quail Eggs

The Baltimore Farmer’s Market was beaming with pride as the stalls opened for the season on Sunday morning, and it has good reason to be prideful. It was recently voted #1 Farmer’s Market in the nation by Country Living.   Since it was 7:00 am after a long night out I was appropriately armed with coffee, sun glasses, and hippy-ass reusable tote bags. Asparagus has been in the forefront of my thoughts since eating a memorably crisp asparagus salad at Woodberry Kitchen . When I saw a pile of garden-fresh spears I couldn’t resist getting a few bundles for the week as well as my fair share of blue kale, foraged mushrooms, spinach, organic quail eggs, ramps, and a multitude of other goodies.   It is going to be a wonderfully food-filled week. Grilled Asparagus Salad with Fried Quail Eggs utilizes many of the seasonal ingredients I scored at the market. It’s only lightly seasoned to give the ingredients the stage. Fresh tarragon is laced throughout and the yolk from the gently fried

The Gathering: Baltimore's Food Truck Rally

Baltimore, with its big city grit and artistic underbelly, was destined to become an integral part of the Food Truck Nation. Over the last few years, gourmet food trucks have been popping up everywhere from LA to Austin, but mobile catering has been around since the beginning of times.   Coupled with the weakened economy and people’s undying need for great street food, we find ourselves at a fortunate cross road. We can eat gourmet food on the street. Lucky us. Talented chefs and savvy business people are all getting with the trend. The newest generation of food trucks are classing it up and getting experimental with menu items like crab fries and Korean tacos.  Baltimore’s food truck scene has grown over the last two years, and The Gathering propels the movement forward by forming a food truck rally that competes on a national scale. Lamb vindaloo? Check. Fish tacos? Check. Creamy soft serve and pretty cupcakes? Check.  This all happens within a small city