Skip to main content

Green Detox Juice



You might be expecting a Halloween recipe from me today. It would make sense considering I’m a member of the food blogging community and it’s almost a law to participate in candy making. Marshmallows made to look like ghosts. Maybe a cake that looks like witch. 

Please don’t make me. 

The party must stop.  Just give me a few days to detox. Cleanse. Breathe. Srsly. 


My body is craving everything green and purifying after months of partying, eating, and drinking like I was contributing to the downfall of the decadent Roman Empire.  Many sins were committed to this vessel, and until the holidays completely take over I will be doing what I can to reverse the damage. 

Let’s start the day with a delicious Green Detox Juice. Sure, it’s green. This might not be your ideal color for breakfast. But I will tell you this. It’s good. It’s sweet from the pears and a little spicy from the ginger.  Oh, and it is jam-packed with really healthful ingredients. You won’t feel a thing. Just drink it.

Green Detox Juice
Prep time: 5 minutes
Makes 28 ounces
You will need: a juicer (I use the inexpensive Breville Compact Juice Fountain)

Ingredients:
3 large kale leaves, washed
½ inch chunk of fresh ginger, peeled
2 celery stalks, washed
½ cup fresh parsley
1 small lemon (or ½ large lemon), peeled
I cucumber, washed
2 small pears (or one large), washed and cored

Directions:
Thoroughly wash all of your vegetables before putting them in the juicer. Peel and core any fruit and vegetables with inedible or bitter skins and seeds. Feed all of the ingredients in to the juicer until done. Pour in to a pretty glass and enjoy.

Pssttt. You don’t have to throw away the pulp left over in the juicer. Depending on the vegetables you have juiced, use it as compost, make stock, stuff in to vegetable burgers, or stir in to pasta sauce. The sky is the limit!



Comments

  1. What a great colour and I could do with a bit of detox myself. I can manage everything - except the kale. Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Vitamin Green tea is what I take before breakfast every day. I make a smoothie with wild blueberries, fresh ground Flax seed and juice or other tea, and add a banana and this is what I have to start my day.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for leaving a comment!

Popular posts from this blog

Grilled Asparagus Salad with Fried Quail Eggs

The Baltimore Farmer’s Market was beaming with pride as the stalls opened for the season on Sunday morning, and it has good reason to be prideful. It was recently voted #1 Farmer’s Market in the nation by Country Living.   Since it was 7:00 am after a long night out I was appropriately armed with coffee, sun glasses, and hippy-ass reusable tote bags. Asparagus has been in the forefront of my thoughts since eating a memorably crisp asparagus salad at Woodberry Kitchen . When I saw a pile of garden-fresh spears I couldn’t resist getting a few bundles for the week as well as my fair share of blue kale, foraged mushrooms, spinach, organic quail eggs, ramps, and a multitude of other goodies.   It is going to be a wonderfully food-filled week. Grilled Asparagus Salad with Fried Quail Eggs utilizes many of the seasonal ingredients I scored at the market. It’s only lightly seasoned to give the ingredients the stage. Fresh tarragon is laced throughout and the yolk from the gently fried

Bacon Guacamole

So, here's the thing. Bacon is so played out in the food world right now. We have bacon chocolate bars, bacon oil, bacon salt, bacon print band-aids, and bacon sundaes at Burger King. There is even a small restaurant in Austin, Texas called Bacon that serves, well, everything bacon (try the the bacon doughnut...just do it). Some truly sad souls people have a difficult time understanding why bacon should play such a leading role off the breakfast table. I say everything should taste like bacon. Bring it! Here is my small contribution to our over-saturated bacon kingdom, Bacon Guacamole .   I actually shed a tear when I tasted this. You can thank me later... Bacon Guacamole Time in kitchen: 10 minutes Servings: 8 (2 T serving) Nutrition information per serving:  100 calories, 9 grams fat, 3 grams fiber, 2 grams protein, 4 carbs Ingredients: 2 ripe avocados  the juice of 1/2 lime (or more to taste) 1 small garlic clove, grated 1 T fresh c

Chocolate Junk Granola Squares

Dear Dairy,  We have endured a strong yet tragic relationship for many years. Doctors tell me not to devour even a morsel of your charms, but you always find a way back in to my life. Whether you linger on a cracker, curl up snugly to some macaroni, stand tall in a breakfast glass or sprinkle yourself on salads, your charm is undeniable. I swoon your way time and time again. But you are not good for me. When you are in my daily life I get too many colds, my skin turns pink and rashy, my bones ache, my hair gets dull, my tummy hurts, and my brain fogs over slowly until I eventually forget the names of even the simplest things. Not only does your presence affect me physically, but I am emotionally and mentally damaged by you. This is not a healthy relationship. If you see me on a crowded street or in a seedy café, please turn the other way. I am not strong enough to say no. Not yet. You will not hear from me again until I have the power to be in your presence without succum