Skip to main content

Chicken Meatball Noodle Soup

One of my favorite things in the world is sitting in front of the television after a long day of work with a giant bowl of chicken noodle soup. This is especially true when the temperature outside begins to drop. There is nothing more consoling than slurping on soup while watching The Walking Dead. Are you judging me right now? I can feel it. You are judging me. I promise I’m not slovenly. I use a napkin, slurp with spotlessness, and never take a glug directly from the bowl. Okay, maybe sometimes I glug directly from the bowl.

What?

This quick and easy Chicken Meatball Noodle Soup tastes almost like pizza. It is oh so very Italian with artichokes, fennel seed, and oregano. Being gluten and dairy free can be daunting at classic Italian restaurants. If you are like me and simply miss eating pizza from time to time (who doesn’t love ooey gooey cheese pizza with a paper thin crust?) then try a bowl of this.

Chicken Meatball Noodle Soup 

Time in kitchen: 30 minutes
Servings: 8
Nutrition information per serving: 220 calories, 29 carbohydrates, 15 grams protein, 7 grams fat, 3 grams fiber

For the meatballs:
1 pound ground chicken
1 egg
3 tablespoons gluten free breadcrumbs
½ teaspoon fennel seeds
½ teaspoon dried rosemary
1 ½ teaspoons dried oregano
1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
Salt and pepper to taste

Soup:
1 package brown rice noodles
1 tablespoon olive oil
½ white onion, finely chopped
Dash of dried oregano
Dash of dried rosemary
Salt and pepper to taste
1 can artichokes in water, drained
1 can diced tomatoes, drained and rinsed
3 cups baby spinach
2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
6 cups organic low sodium chicken stock

Directions:

Preheat oven to 400 degrees. In a large bowl, mix all of the meatball ingredients until just combined (don’t overmix); form in to ½ inch sized meatballs. On a large sheet pan lay out meatballs being sure they don’t touch. Spray quickly with olive oil. Bake until golden brown, about 15 minutes. Set aside.

While the meatballs are baking:

Heat olive oil in a heavy soup pot on medium high heat. Add onion, oregano, rosemary, salt and pepper. Cook until onions are translucent; about 5 minutes. Add drained artichokes, tomatoes, and spinach; stir to combine. Add chicken stock; bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low. Add chicken meatballs and parsley.

Prepare brown rice noodles according to package directions. I usually soak them in very hot water while I cook the other ingredients; about 15 minutes (no need to boil). Drain and set aside. Note: Keep the noodles separate. Simply add a serving to the bottom of the bowl, and pour a serving of soup on top. This keeps the noodles from getting soggy and soaking up all of the lovely broth.

Comments

  1. This sounds great and I want to try it next week, as it's unseasonably warm here today and snow is forecast for next week. All the spices in this are wonderful! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is definitely a soup that requires a big bowl! enjoy it in the cold weather next week :)

      Delete
  2. This looks awesome! I love noodle soups, and the chicken meatballs look fabulous. Will give this a try for sure.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! the chicken meatballs make this soup super comfy. Let me know if you like it.

      Delete
  3. At first glance I thought these were matzoh balls! I love the chicken ball idea, and that you put fennel in it. Perfect winter soup flavor!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They do look like matzoh balls! Alas, they are chicken...and they taste like Italian sausage from the fennel. Nom.

      Delete
  4. Girlfriend, I am so with you on this one. A big bowl of this soup and one of my shows and I'm a happy camper! You know I love meatballs too... it's comfort soup personified! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is so comforting! I'm glad to know I'm not the only one who eats and gazes at the TV...maybe the only food blogger to admit it though. LOL

      Delete
  5. I completely agree with you! Giant bowls of noodle soup with an epic TV marathon have become a weekly ritual in my flat! I can't wait to surprise my OH with a bowl of this!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This sounds like such a comforting soup!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I was thinking I'd rather take this meatball noodle soup over pizza! Definitely more comforting and perfect for this cold season! Looks delicious....

    ReplyDelete
  8. So many things to love about this soup...first of all meatballs...and then artichokes!!! Wow!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Such a hearty beautiful soup :)

    Cheers
    Choc Chip Uru

    ReplyDelete
  10. This gorgeous soup invites glugging from the bowl, my friend! I love the little chicken meatballs, though I'd probably use a spoon to fish these out to eat before glugging.

    ReplyDelete
  11. once I had tried mutton soup taste was too yummy. It seems too similar, but the recipe is different. Surely would try this.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh I could do with a bowl of this right about now! looks lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Awesome recipe - my only amendment would be fresh cherry tomatoes instead of canned ones...other than that delicious!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for leaving a comment!

Popular posts from this blog

Bacon Guacamole

So, here's the thing. Bacon is so played out in the food world right now. We have bacon chocolate bars, bacon oil, bacon salt, bacon print band-aids, and bacon sundaes at Burger King. There is even a small restaurant in Austin, Texas called Bacon that serves, well, everything bacon (try the the bacon doughnut...just do it). Some truly sad souls people have a difficult time understanding why bacon should play such a leading role off the breakfast table. I say everything should taste like bacon. Bring it! Here is my small contribution to our over-saturated bacon kingdom, Bacon Guacamole .   I actually shed a tear when I tasted this. You can thank me later... Bacon Guacamole Time in kitchen: 10 minutes Servings: 8 (2 T serving) Nutrition information per serving:  100 calories, 9 grams fat, 3 grams fiber, 2 grams protein, 4 carbs Ingredients: 2 ripe avocados  the juice of 1/2 lime (or more to taste) 1 small garlic clove, grated 1 T fresh c

Grilled Asparagus Salad with Fried Quail Eggs

The Baltimore Farmer’s Market was beaming with pride as the stalls opened for the season on Sunday morning, and it has good reason to be prideful. It was recently voted #1 Farmer’s Market in the nation by Country Living.   Since it was 7:00 am after a long night out I was appropriately armed with coffee, sun glasses, and hippy-ass reusable tote bags. Asparagus has been in the forefront of my thoughts since eating a memorably crisp asparagus salad at Woodberry Kitchen . When I saw a pile of garden-fresh spears I couldn’t resist getting a few bundles for the week as well as my fair share of blue kale, foraged mushrooms, spinach, organic quail eggs, ramps, and a multitude of other goodies.   It is going to be a wonderfully food-filled week. Grilled Asparagus Salad with Fried Quail Eggs utilizes many of the seasonal ingredients I scored at the market. It’s only lightly seasoned to give the ingredients the stage. Fresh tarragon is laced throughout and the yolk from the gently fried

The Gathering: Baltimore's Food Truck Rally

Baltimore, with its big city grit and artistic underbelly, was destined to become an integral part of the Food Truck Nation. Over the last few years, gourmet food trucks have been popping up everywhere from LA to Austin, but mobile catering has been around since the beginning of times.   Coupled with the weakened economy and people’s undying need for great street food, we find ourselves at a fortunate cross road. We can eat gourmet food on the street. Lucky us. Talented chefs and savvy business people are all getting with the trend. The newest generation of food trucks are classing it up and getting experimental with menu items like crab fries and Korean tacos.  Baltimore’s food truck scene has grown over the last two years, and The Gathering propels the movement forward by forming a food truck rally that competes on a national scale. Lamb vindaloo? Check. Fish tacos? Check. Creamy soft serve and pretty cupcakes? Check.  This all happens within a small city