Skip to main content

Avocado, Tomatillo and Black Bean Spring Rolls

Sometimes, I just want to fry something. I want the delicate crunch only obtained by high heat and a ridiculous amount of oil. I want spring rolls. Hell, I want avocado spring rolls with tomatillos, black beans a hint of red onion.

I want it all!



Deep breath. Let’s count to ten and calm down.

We can pan fry to get the same effect. A little less oil is absorbed and there is less worry of the spring rolls exploding, spilling lava-like green goo in to the giant vat of oil. Yes, let’s do that. Let’s have the best of both worlds.


Avocado, Tomatillo and Black Bean Spring Rolls 

Time in kitchen: 1 hour
Servings: 25
Nutrition information per spring roll: 128 calories, 9 grams fat, 3 grams fiber, 3 grams protein, 10 carbohydrates

Ingredients:
  • 3 avocados
  • 5 tomatillos, husked, washed, and coarsely chopped
  • 3 cloves garlic, coarsely chopped
  • 1 jalapeno, coarsely chopped
  • ¼ cup fresh cilantro, coarsely chopped
  • ½ tsp sea salt
  • 1 can black beans, rinsed and drained
  • ½ red onion, thinly sliced
  • 1 package of spring roll skins (25 count), left on counter to thaw (15 – 20 min)
  • ½ cup of water in a small bowl (or one egg)
  • Basting brush or fingers
  • ¾ cup peanut oil (divided in to three batches)
  • Nonstick skillet
  • Salsa for dipping
Directions:
  1. Place the avocado flesh, tomatillos, garlic, jalapeno, cilantro and salt in to a blender or food processor; pulsate until smooth. Transfer to a bowl and set aside.
  2. (A great tutorial for wrapping can be found here) Place 1 spring roll wrapper on a clean work surface, with one corner at the bottom so that it resembles a diamond. Brush the four edges of the wrapper with water. Next, add 1 TB of the avocado mixture, a sprinkle of black beans, and 2 thin slices of red onion on the top part of the wrapper closest to you, not touching the edges. Tuck the end of the wrapper under the filling and begin to gently fold down creating a log until you reach the halfway point. Fold over the left side, and then the right side and roll it up to form a tube. Brush a little more water along the top part and seal the roll. Repeat until all the rolls are finished.
  3. Place the pan with the ¼ cup of the oil over a medium-high heat. Once the oil begins to ripple, fry 4-5 spring rolls at a time (depending on the size of your pant) until lightly brown on each side. This will only a minute or two. Put them on a paper towel to drain. You will need to replenish the ¼ cup of oil in the pan after about 2 batches. Repeat until all the rolls are finished.
  4. Serve with your favorite salsa!

Comments

  1. I am unnaturally afraid of spring rolls. And phyllo dough. It's a theme. these look amazing though... I need to man up!

    I think I've seen people bake spring rolls too... have you ever tried it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Same here. It's not natural for me to play with dough. Never the less, these were amazing. I do wonder how baking them would work...if they would be more crunchy and less delish. Maybe I should try that next time!

      Delete
  2. WOW!! these sound fantastic! I love the crossing of cultures!

    ReplyDelete
  3. As Grub's Mom, I had the distinct pleasure of chatting with her on skype as she prepared these little gems. I could practically smell them as we talked and drooled as she and my hardworking SIL inhaled them. I can't describe to you how much I wanted one. I even tried to grab one out of her hands and she munched [it didn't work!]!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Amazing! Very interesting ,giving a new twist to the ordinary spring rolls! LOVE IT! Very chic & gourmet!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Just sign me up for an entire plate of these!! What a fabulous combination! I love anything in a spring roll! :) Have a wonderful weekend my friend! ~ Ramona

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is my first time seeing avocado and beans in spring rolls and I love the idea!!! Being an Asian person I always stay in the safe comfort zone in terms of making spring rolls. This is a very creative way to eat them and they look delicious!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow. That is a huge compliment coming from you. Thanks! My husband is a spring roll addict so I love making up new flavors for him.

      Delete
  7. Do you ship these delicious rolls? I love every single ingredient you've used. Great idea to panfry too.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I know what you mean, sometimes nothing will do it for ya like frying something up!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm in heaven. These look delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am so hungry for these rolls, they look so tasty. Anything with avocado I can it it anytime. Thank you for a wonderful recipe.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for leaving a comment!

Popular posts from this blog

Bacon Guacamole

So, here's the thing. Bacon is so played out in the food world right now. We have bacon chocolate bars, bacon oil, bacon salt, bacon print band-aids, and bacon sundaes at Burger King. There is even a small restaurant in Austin, Texas called Bacon that serves, well, everything bacon (try the the bacon doughnut...just do it). Some truly sad souls people have a difficult time understanding why bacon should play such a leading role off the breakfast table. I say everything should taste like bacon. Bring it! Here is my small contribution to our over-saturated bacon kingdom, Bacon Guacamole .   I actually shed a tear when I tasted this. You can thank me later... Bacon Guacamole Time in kitchen: 10 minutes Servings: 8 (2 T serving) Nutrition information per serving:  100 calories, 9 grams fat, 3 grams fiber, 2 grams protein, 4 carbs Ingredients: 2 ripe avocados  the juice of 1/2 lime (or more to taste) 1 small garlic clove, grated 1 T fresh c

Grilled Asparagus Salad with Fried Quail Eggs

The Baltimore Farmer’s Market was beaming with pride as the stalls opened for the season on Sunday morning, and it has good reason to be prideful. It was recently voted #1 Farmer’s Market in the nation by Country Living.   Since it was 7:00 am after a long night out I was appropriately armed with coffee, sun glasses, and hippy-ass reusable tote bags. Asparagus has been in the forefront of my thoughts since eating a memorably crisp asparagus salad at Woodberry Kitchen . When I saw a pile of garden-fresh spears I couldn’t resist getting a few bundles for the week as well as my fair share of blue kale, foraged mushrooms, spinach, organic quail eggs, ramps, and a multitude of other goodies.   It is going to be a wonderfully food-filled week. Grilled Asparagus Salad with Fried Quail Eggs utilizes many of the seasonal ingredients I scored at the market. It’s only lightly seasoned to give the ingredients the stage. Fresh tarragon is laced throughout and the yolk from the gently fried

The Gathering: Baltimore's Food Truck Rally

Baltimore, with its big city grit and artistic underbelly, was destined to become an integral part of the Food Truck Nation. Over the last few years, gourmet food trucks have been popping up everywhere from LA to Austin, but mobile catering has been around since the beginning of times.   Coupled with the weakened economy and people’s undying need for great street food, we find ourselves at a fortunate cross road. We can eat gourmet food on the street. Lucky us. Talented chefs and savvy business people are all getting with the trend. The newest generation of food trucks are classing it up and getting experimental with menu items like crab fries and Korean tacos.  Baltimore’s food truck scene has grown over the last two years, and The Gathering propels the movement forward by forming a food truck rally that competes on a national scale. Lamb vindaloo? Check. Fish tacos? Check. Creamy soft serve and pretty cupcakes? Check.  This all happens within a small city