Skip to main content

Tomato and Cucumber Salad with Black Lava Salt

Fresh from the garden to you. 

There is nothing more straightforward or more delicious than a sun drenched tomato and cucumber salad. Lime juice enlivens the flavors of the vegetables while a heavy drizzle of good extra virgin olive oil, smoky black lava salt, and baby basil are a flawless finish.

This salad is the perfect canvas for a variety of finishing salts. As they gain popularity finishing salts are becoming easier to find, and if you do not want to commit to one flavor they often come in an assortment (like this gorgeous set from Williams-Sonoma). Try Hawaiian black lava salt if you are pairing this salad with grilled meat.

The secret is fresh ingredients. It will not taste the same if you use tomatoes that have been hiding in the fridge for a few days. Prepare this with tomatoes from your garden or your local farmer's market. And for the love of all things sacred, please do not store your tomatoes in the fridge.

Perfect, juicy tomato tip: Keep them on your counter, stem side down, and try to avoid piling them. The less tomatoes touch one another the better.You will thank me for these tips after you eat this salad, and shed a tear for all those bad tomatoes you never had to eat.

Tomato and Cucumber Salad with Black Lava Salt

Time in Kitchen: 10 minutes
Servings: 4
Nutrition information per serving: 80 calories, 4 grams fat, 11 grams carbohydrates, 6 grams sugar

Ingredients:
4 garden fresh beefsteak tomatoes, sliced thick (large heirlooms would also be wonderful)
4 persian cucumbers, sliced on a diagonal
Handful of fresh basil, hand ripped
1/4 red onion, thinly sliced
Juice from 1/2 a lime
A heavy drizzle of extra virgin olive oil
Freshly cracked black pepper, to taste
Black Lava Salt, to taste

Directions:
On your favorite medium sized platter, layer the tomato and cucumber slices in a circular pattern one on top of the other. Sprinkle with thinly sliced red onion, a handful of ripped basil, and lime juice. To finish, drizzle liberally with extra virgin olive oil, cracked pepper and black salt to taste. Enjoy at room temperature. Perfect paired with grilled meat, poultry or fish. 



Comments

  1. I love the simplicity of this - the summer product is so sweet thanks to the extra hot weather. It really pays to just let the flavors shine!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Simplicity is my life in the kitchen these days. This time of year I can't fathom complicating these gorgeous natural flavors. The trick is just letting them speak for themselves! Awesome salad. I want it again today.

      Delete
  2. Your salad sounds amazing and looks gorgeous! I have to say the lava salt is something I have never heard of before. Very interesting! Have a fabulous week!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is such an interesting combination, adding the lime juice. Hmm....I need to try this.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am a total sucker for nice salt. And the tomato tsunami is coming. Excuse me while I go run to Williams Sonoma.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've never had black sea lava before. The tomatoes look AMAZING and the whole salad is making me drool.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am just salivating, Kimmi! How I'm longing for some juicy garden tomatoes...and this looks like the perfect recipe in which to show cake them. And I'm going to have to keep an eye out for black lava salt!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, that looks so fresh and colorful! I do have some black sea salt and will play with this as soon as I can get some decent tomatoes.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a refreshing summery salad with lovely colors! Looks so appetizing! YUM! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. It sounds really good and I would've never thought of the lime juice for it. This will be great for beefsteak tomatoes and cucumbers! After a trip to Williams Sonoma! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. So I've seen black lava salt on Chopped and have been so intrigued to try it. I'll have to now!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow.. this is simply beautiful! Black lava salt...very interesting ingredient. :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Well, what do you know? I just got some black lava salt as a gift, and wasn't sure what to use it on yet! We have a winner...ding ding ding. What a gorgeous presentation and beautiful bright red tomatoes.

    ReplyDelete
  13. There is so much to love about this! I have fresh tomatoes and cukes growing. And a collection of finishing salts I'm always eager to use!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Simple and delicious! I love tomatoes, nothing is better then summer vegetables!

    ReplyDelete
  15. This is simply gorgeous. I must say your header makes me smile too. It's just so pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Your photos always have marvelous composition and vibrant color. It is a treat to visit here.Your salad sounds as wonderful as it looks.I hope you have a greatday. Blessings...Mary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mary, that is so kind of you to say. Thank you. I hope you have a wonderful weekend.

      Delete
  17. I can live all summer long on this salad with slice of freshly baked bread...:)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oh I want to try black lava salt! Sounds fun and delicious. :D Very simple lovely salad!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for leaving a comment!

Popular posts from this blog

Bacon Guacamole

So, here's the thing. Bacon is so played out in the food world right now. We have bacon chocolate bars, bacon oil, bacon salt, bacon print band-aids, and bacon sundaes at Burger King. There is even a small restaurant in Austin, Texas called Bacon that serves, well, everything bacon (try the the bacon doughnut...just do it). Some truly sad souls people have a difficult time understanding why bacon should play such a leading role off the breakfast table. I say everything should taste like bacon. Bring it! Here is my small contribution to our over-saturated bacon kingdom, Bacon Guacamole .   I actually shed a tear when I tasted this. You can thank me later... Bacon Guacamole Time in kitchen: 10 minutes Servings: 8 (2 T serving) Nutrition information per serving:  100 calories, 9 grams fat, 3 grams fiber, 2 grams protein, 4 carbs Ingredients: 2 ripe avocados  the juice of 1/2 lime (or more to taste) 1 small garlic clove, grated 1 T fresh c

Grilled Asparagus Salad with Fried Quail Eggs

The Baltimore Farmer’s Market was beaming with pride as the stalls opened for the season on Sunday morning, and it has good reason to be prideful. It was recently voted #1 Farmer’s Market in the nation by Country Living.   Since it was 7:00 am after a long night out I was appropriately armed with coffee, sun glasses, and hippy-ass reusable tote bags. Asparagus has been in the forefront of my thoughts since eating a memorably crisp asparagus salad at Woodberry Kitchen . When I saw a pile of garden-fresh spears I couldn’t resist getting a few bundles for the week as well as my fair share of blue kale, foraged mushrooms, spinach, organic quail eggs, ramps, and a multitude of other goodies.   It is going to be a wonderfully food-filled week. Grilled Asparagus Salad with Fried Quail Eggs utilizes many of the seasonal ingredients I scored at the market. It’s only lightly seasoned to give the ingredients the stage. Fresh tarragon is laced throughout and the yolk from the gently fried

The Gathering: Baltimore's Food Truck Rally

Baltimore, with its big city grit and artistic underbelly, was destined to become an integral part of the Food Truck Nation. Over the last few years, gourmet food trucks have been popping up everywhere from LA to Austin, but mobile catering has been around since the beginning of times.   Coupled with the weakened economy and people’s undying need for great street food, we find ourselves at a fortunate cross road. We can eat gourmet food on the street. Lucky us. Talented chefs and savvy business people are all getting with the trend. The newest generation of food trucks are classing it up and getting experimental with menu items like crab fries and Korean tacos.  Baltimore’s food truck scene has grown over the last two years, and The Gathering propels the movement forward by forming a food truck rally that competes on a national scale. Lamb vindaloo? Check. Fish tacos? Check. Creamy soft serve and pretty cupcakes? Check.  This all happens within a small city