Skip to main content

Fig, Rosemary and Balsamic Conserve

 
With mom visiting from Texas this weekend I wanted to make something we could nibble on while we nattered the night away. I needed it to be easy since my day is already chockablock with errands. Still foggy-eyed and clumsily stirring my first cup of coffee, I surveyed the kitchen.

The figs sensually piled on the kitchen table immediately caught my attention. Figs. Glorious figs. Their soft, velvety texture and lusciously sweet flavor is incomparable to any other food. In early fall when their season is at an end these little fruits are asking to be transformed in to sultry jams, conserves and compotes.  


I clipped a stem of fresh rosemary, pulled out the honey bear and balsamic from the cupboard, and the wheels churned. These flavors would be lovely made in to a sticky conserve and eaten with brie, soft wheat crackers and a hearty glass of red wine. It was time to throw it all in a pot and see what happened. 

What a sensation! This jar of figgy love will add a zing of class to your next get together. 

Fig, Rosemary and Balsamic  Conserve

Ingredients
1 ½ cups fresh black mission figs, quartered and stemmed
1 cup water
4 tbsp. honey
1 tbsp. balsamic
1 tsp. fresh rosemary, finely chopped
Pinch of sea salt
1 tsp. cornstarch

Directions
In a sauce pan stir together ingredients and simmer, covered, 20 minutes. Remove lid and simmer mixture, stirring occasionally until most of the liquid is evaporated and the mixture is thickened. Gently mash with a fork to break up the fig slightly. Mix cornstarch with a tablespoon of cold water and pour in to the pan. Let it come to a simmer and it will thicken immediately. Turn off the heat and transfer to an 8 oz. glass jar. Conserve will keep without sealing for 1-2 weeks. 

I do not see mine lasting longer than one chatty evening.






Comments

  1. YUM! As soon as I find some fresh figs I will be making this jar of figgy love!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have never tried a fig before although I've been tempted by them.

    Your conserve seems very approachable though and I'm thinking I'm going to need to put figs on the grocery list this week.

    Thanks for the post!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my word those figs are stunning!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have seen a few fig recipes recently, I will need to get some soon. Your conserve is inspiring. Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This looks so good! I'm always excited for fig season and I just returned from Italy with a great bottle of balsamic that would make this really special. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow this looks incredible, what a great recipe! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a deliciously looking conserve. I have to try that soon. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  8. One of my favorite things!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Now I know this is very good.. I wonderful accompaniment to so many things, cheese topping my list.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love the sound of this. I want to smear this all over foccacia with asparagus and pecorino.

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a fantastic recipe! Love the flavor combo too. Sounds amazing!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for leaving a comment!

Popular posts from this blog

Bacon Guacamole

So, here's the thing. Bacon is so played out in the food world right now. We have bacon chocolate bars, bacon oil, bacon salt, bacon print band-aids, and bacon sundaes at Burger King. There is even a small restaurant in Austin, Texas called Bacon that serves, well, everything bacon (try the the bacon doughnut...just do it). Some truly sad souls people have a difficult time understanding why bacon should play such a leading role off the breakfast table. I say everything should taste like bacon. Bring it! Here is my small contribution to our over-saturated bacon kingdom, Bacon Guacamole .   I actually shed a tear when I tasted this. You can thank me later... Bacon Guacamole Time in kitchen: 10 minutes Servings: 8 (2 T serving) Nutrition information per serving:  100 calories, 9 grams fat, 3 grams fiber, 2 grams protein, 4 carbs Ingredients: 2 ripe avocados  the juice of 1/2 lime (or more to taste) 1 small garlic clove, grated 1 T fresh c

Grilled Asparagus Salad with Fried Quail Eggs

The Baltimore Farmer’s Market was beaming with pride as the stalls opened for the season on Sunday morning, and it has good reason to be prideful. It was recently voted #1 Farmer’s Market in the nation by Country Living.   Since it was 7:00 am after a long night out I was appropriately armed with coffee, sun glasses, and hippy-ass reusable tote bags. Asparagus has been in the forefront of my thoughts since eating a memorably crisp asparagus salad at Woodberry Kitchen . When I saw a pile of garden-fresh spears I couldn’t resist getting a few bundles for the week as well as my fair share of blue kale, foraged mushrooms, spinach, organic quail eggs, ramps, and a multitude of other goodies.   It is going to be a wonderfully food-filled week. Grilled Asparagus Salad with Fried Quail Eggs utilizes many of the seasonal ingredients I scored at the market. It’s only lightly seasoned to give the ingredients the stage. Fresh tarragon is laced throughout and the yolk from the gently fried

The Gathering: Baltimore's Food Truck Rally

Baltimore, with its big city grit and artistic underbelly, was destined to become an integral part of the Food Truck Nation. Over the last few years, gourmet food trucks have been popping up everywhere from LA to Austin, but mobile catering has been around since the beginning of times.   Coupled with the weakened economy and people’s undying need for great street food, we find ourselves at a fortunate cross road. We can eat gourmet food on the street. Lucky us. Talented chefs and savvy business people are all getting with the trend. The newest generation of food trucks are classing it up and getting experimental with menu items like crab fries and Korean tacos.  Baltimore’s food truck scene has grown over the last two years, and The Gathering propels the movement forward by forming a food truck rally that competes on a national scale. Lamb vindaloo? Check. Fish tacos? Check. Creamy soft serve and pretty cupcakes? Check.  This all happens within a small city